Bolstone is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Alternative names: Boulstone
Parish church: St. John (now closed and semi-derelict.) Parish registers begin: 1765
Boulstone, or Bolstone, a parish in the district and county of Hereford; adjacent to the Monmouth and Hereford railway, and to the river Wye, 1¼ mile S by W of Holme Lacy r. station, and 5½ SSE of Hereford. Post Town, Holme-Lacy, under Hereford. Acres, 657. Real property, £812. Pop., 61. Houses, 13. The property is not much divided. The manor belongs to Sir E. F. Stanhope, Bart. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Holme-Lacy, in the diocese of Hereford. The church has a square tower, and is good. Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Boulstone, 5 miles S.E. Hereford. P. 83. Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Boulstone, a chapelry in the parish of Hom-Lacey, hundred of Webtree, county of Hereford, containing 75 inhabitants. Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Gummery Gabriel, parish clerk.
Harris J., farmer, Gannah farm.
Harrison Jas., head gamekeeper, Withybed.
Jones Joseph, gardener, Withybed.
Lane Arthur, cottage farmer, New house.
Morris J., farmer, Kilforge farm.
Preece Mrs., The Moors, Boulstone, assist. overseer Ballingham and Little Dewchurch.
Webb Hy., M.P., Kilforge, Holme Lacy; also Llwynarthan, Castleton, Cardiff; Newnham; and 2. Seymour street, London.
Williams H., farmer and assistant overseer, Boulstone court.
Source: The Hereford Journal Directory 1914. Second Issue. Hereford: The Herefordshire Press & Printing Co., Ltd., Offa House.
Boulstone is a small parish, distant 7 miles south-east from Hereford, 10 north-west from Ross by the turnpike road, and 1½ south-west from Holme Lacy station, on the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester railway, 141 ½ from London, in Wormelow Hundred, Hereford Union, archdeaconry and bishopric, and deanery of Irchenfield, and situated about 1 mile from the old Ross road. The church, a small stone building, consists of nave and chancel, with a low tower having two bells. The living is a curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Holme Lacy, and is valued at £543 yearly, without residence, and in the patronage of Sir Edwin Francis Scudamore Stanhope, Bart., the Rev. Francis Lewis, M.A., is the incumbent; Rev. Burkerley Lionel Scudamore Stanhope, curate. The population of this parish, in 1851, was 52, and the number of acres 657. Sir Edwin Francis Scudamore Stanhope, Bart., of Holme Lacy, is lord of the manor and also chief landowner.
Letters through Holme Lacy. The nearest money order office is at Hereford.
Farr Robert, farmer, Boulstone court
Garrold Richard, farmer, Killforge
Dane Henry, farmer, Dewchurch barn
Moxley John, wood dealer
Ravenhill William, carpenter, Withybed
Ruff William, carpenter and parish clerk, the Moor
Walker William, wheelwright
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.