Bodenham

Bodenham, Herefordshire History

Historical Descriptions

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Bodenham, a parish in the hund. of Broxash, union of Leominster, county of Hereford; 8 miles north-north-east of Hereford. Living, a vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Hereford; rated at £12 1s. 5½d.; gross income £686. Patron, in 1835, R. Arkwright, Esq. The great and small tithes, the property of the bishop of Hereford, clerical rector and vicar, were commuted in 1802. Here are 2 daily schools, and a National one, endowed with £30 per annum. There is an endowment for poor housekeepers not receiving parochial aid. Pop., in 1801, 887; in 1831, 998. Houses 199. Acres 5,550, of which about 270 are in hops. A. P. £5,661. Poor rates, in 1837, £400.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Bodenham, 6 m. S.W. Bromyard. P. 1017

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.