Bishopstone is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Parish church: St. Lawrence
Parish registers begin: 1727
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Byford Mansel Gamage Bridge Sollers Mansel Lacy Brinsop
Bishopstone, a parish in Weobly district, Hereford; near the river Wye, and the Hereford and Brecon railway, 7 miles W.N.W. of Hereford. It has a post office under Hereford. Acres, 776. Real property, £1,518. Pop., 288. Houses, 67. The property is divided among a few. A fine tesselated pavement and other Roman remains have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford; and till 1865 was united with Yazor. Value, £180. Patron, Rev. G. H. Davenport. The church is ancient and cruciform; was recently restored; and contains several beautiful monuments. Charities, £49.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Bishopstone, 6 m. N.W. Hereford. P. 304.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Bishopstone, a parish in the hundred of Grimsworth, county of Hereford, 7 miles (W.N.W.) from Hereford, containing 270 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king’s books at £7. 7. 6. Uvedale Price, Esq. was patron in 1809. The church is dedicated to St. Lawrence.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Bywater Mrs. Roseanna, farmer, etc., Nelson inn (letters Bridge Sollers).
Bouchier Richard, blacksmith.
Gore Mrs. Jane, postmistress, Post office.
Hamer Henry, farmer and haulier, The cottage.
Jakeman John, shopkeeper, Bishon.
Lewis John Edw., farmer, Bunshill (letters Bridge Sollers).
Like Alb. John, farmer, Court frm.
Preece Wm., parish clerk, Lena cot.
Preece Mrs. C., carrier, Bishon.
Ramage Jas. Lindsay, estate agent, Downshill house.
Stinton Wm., carrier, Scaldback.
Wilmot Rev. Rd. H., The Rectory.
Yeomans Jos. Lloyd, farmer, Bishon farm.
(Assistant overseer: John Wootton; residence Byford).
Source: The Hereford Journal Directory 1914. Second Issue. Hereford: The Herefordshire Press & Printing Co., Ltd., Offa House.
Bishopstone is a parish, 7 miles from Hereford station, 13 from Kington, and 13 from Hay, in Grimsworth Hundred, Weobly Union, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated to the north of the road from Brecon to Hereford. The church of St. Lawrence is a stone building of considerable antiquity in the pointed style, was repaired about 1854, and restored at considerable cost. It has a bell turret with two bells, two transepts, magnificent organ formerly belonging to Eton chapel, a beautiful encaustic tile pavement, east window by Warrington, of London, ancient monuments to the Berrington family, two recumbent figures, marble monument (with figures by P. Hollins), to the late Sarah Freer, font, and vestry. The living is a rectory, worth £196 14s. yearly, with residence and 54 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Sir Robert Price, Bart., M.P.; the venerable Richard Lane Freer, B.D., archdeacon and prebendary of Hereford, is the incumbent; the Rev. Rowland Hill, M.A., is the curate; the living is united by Act of Parliament to Yazor. There is an infant school for boys and girls, and the more advanced ones are received at the Manset [sic] Lacy school, and old moated farm-house, once the residence of the Berrington family. Bishopstone Hill commands a rich and beautiful view. A tessellated Roman pavement was discovered here in 1812, but has since been destroyed. The population, in 1851, was 280, and the acreage is 776. The soil is loamy; the subsoil is clay. Sir Robert Price, Bart., of Foxley, is lord of the manor, and he and Sir Henry Cotterell, are chief landowners.
Freer The Venerable Archdeacon Richard Lane, Rectory
Apperley John, wheelwright
Beavan John, boot and shoe maker, Bishon common
Blashill Henry, farmer and land steward, Downshill
Hancocks Barnabas, blacksmith, Bishon
Higgins Ann, boot and shoe maker
Lloyd William, farmer, Bishon
Perks John, Nelson Inn, Hereford road
Plant Joseph, farmer
Powell Thomas, farmer, Bishon hill
Stephens John, wheelwright
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.