Bishop's Frome with Fromes Hill, Herefordshire

Bishop’s Frome with Fromes Hill, Herefordshire Family History Guide

Bishop’s Frome with Fromes Hill is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.

Other places in the parish include: Leadon, Stanford Regis, Hailmonds Frome, Walton, Egleton, Eggleton, and Fromes Hill.

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin: 1564

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Parishes adjacent to Bishop’s Frome with Fromes Hill

  • Acton Beauchamp
  • Stanford Bishop
  • Castle Frome
  • Evesbatch
  • Cradley
  • Yarkhill
  • Stretton Grandison
  • Avenbury
  • Much Cowarne
  • Bosbury

Historical Descriptions

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Bishops-Froome, 4 m. S. Bromyard. P. 1079.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Froome, Bishop’s (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bromyard, hundred of Radlow, county of Hereford; containing, with the township of Eggleton, 1079 inhabitants, of whom 900 are in the township of Bishop’s-Froome, 4½ miles (S. by E.) from Bromyard. The parish comprises by measurement 4014 acres; the soil in the hills is of light quality, and in the valleys deep and extremely rich; the surface is finely varied, and the scenery enriched with stately timber. The small river Froome flows through the parish, turning numerous mills. There are quarries of limestone and other kinds of stone, extensively wrought; and great quantities of lime are burnt. The living is a vicarage, endowed with a portion of the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king’s books at £8. 5. 10.; net income, £608; patron, Rev. John Hopton; impropriators of the remainder of the rectorial tithes, the family of Johnson, and others. The church is a very ancient structure, with a handsome Norman arched doorway, and a similar arch between the nave and the chancel. A free school is endowed with £15 per annum; and there are four almshouses for the poor. A court baron for the see of Hereford is held occasionally. Richard Hopton, lord chief justice in the reigns of Charles II. and James II. was buried in the church.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Directories

Bishops Frome Kellys Herefordshire Directory 1863

Bishop’s Frome is a large parish, 8 miles north-north-west from Ledbury, 12 north-east from Hereford, and 5 from Bromyard, in the Radlow hundred, Bromyard union and county court district, rural deanery of Frome, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it includes five townships, Bishop’s Frome, Eggleton, Hailmond’s Frome, Leadon Walton, and Standford Regis. The church of St. Mary is a fine building, partly in the Norman style, with porch, and a square embattled tower containing clock and 6 bells; the interior has east and west aisles, one gallery, an organ, and a fine Norman arch; the eastern windows contain handsomely stained glass, giving nine pictorial illustrations of the birth and death of Our Saviour, the Crucifixion being in the centre; there are many ancient tombs and monuments; the chancel has been rebuilt within the last few years, and the whole church repaired and beautified. The register dates from 1564. The living is a vicarage, value £630 per annum, with residence; the Rev. William Parsons Hopton, M.A., of Trinity College, Oxford, is tho vicar; and the Rev. John Hopton, M.A., of Canon Frome, is the patron. There are several charities; and a National school for boys and girls, principally supported by the vicar; these schools are both in one building. The population in 1801, exclusive of Eggleton, was 1,014; the acreage is 3,926. Mr. James Mutlow and Mr. John Browne are the principal landowners.

Eggleton township is in Ledbury union and Radlow hundred, with 630 acres, and a population in 1861 of 164. The land belongs to E. Poole, Esq.

Parish Clerk, Thomas Farmer.

Browne John, esq. Hall court

Caddick Edward, esq. Leadon court

Hopton Rev. William Parsons, M.A., J.P. Vicarage

Mutlow Mrs. Ann, Paunton court

Abell Thomas, farmer, Upper Walton

Allcott James, farmer, Wood croft

Bayliss William, wheelwright

Brown Richard, farmer, Browntree

Brown Thomas, farmer, Birches

Bullock Michael, wheelwright

Chambers Wm. farmer, Lower house

Coldwell John, miller, Paunton mill

Cook Thomas, farmer, Cheyney court

Cooper James, stonemason

Dilworth Joseph, nailmaker

Dowding Francis, farmer, Frome court

Dutson William, Green Dragon

Edwards James, farmer, Dove fields

Gardiner James, farmer, Batchfield

Gittings Richard, tailor

Harding John, farmer, Walton

Higgins William, farmer, Instone

Hill James, farmer, White house

Hill James, grocer

Hodges Agnes (Mrs.), beer retailer

Holmes Richard, farmer, Hill

Imms John, farmer, Wellington

Jones Richard, farmer. Lower Walton

Loggen Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Vine tree

Morris Samuel, farmer

Mutlow James, farmer, Paunton

Probert William, Wheatsheaf

Pudge William, butcher

Pulling Joseph, carpenter

Sandford Thomas, tailor

Shepherd William, shopkeeper

Smith William, miller, Court mill

Taylor Nathaniel, farmer, Millfleld

Vale Robert, farmer, Furrows

Vale Wm. farmer, Hallmond’s Frome

Watkins John, smith

Wilkins Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Letters through Bromyard are delivered at 9.15 a.m.; dispatched at 3.35 p.m. Bromyard Is the nearest money order office.

National School, Thomas Farmer, master; Miss Elizabeth Farmer, mistress

Carrier to Worcester.— Samuel Morris, Wednesday & Saturday

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Bishop’s Frome Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858

Bishop’s Frome is a large parish, 8 miles north-north-west from Ledbury, 12 north-east from Hereford, and 5 from Bromyard, in the Radlow hundred, Bromyard Union, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it includes five townships, Bishop’s Frome, Eggleton, Hailmond’s Frome, Leadon Walton, and Standford Regis. The living is a vicarage, value £630 per annum; the Rev. John Hopton, of Canon Frome, is the patron. The church is a fine old building, partly in the Norman style, with porch, and a square embattled tower containing clock and six bells. The interior has one aisle, one gallery, and organ, and a fine Norman arch. The eastern windows contain handsomely stained glass, giving nine pictorial illustrations of the birth and death of Our Saviour, the Crucifixion being in the centre. There are many ancient tombs and monuments. The chancel has been re-built within the last few years, and the whole church repaired and beautified. There are several charities; and endowed school for boys, and a national school for girls. These schools are both in one building. The population, exclusive of Eggleton, in 1851, was 1,070; acreage, 3.926. Mr. James Mutlow and Mr. John Brown are the principal landowners.

Eggleton township is in Ledbury Union, with 530 acres, and a population of 158. The land belongs to E. Poole, Esq.

Letters through Bromyard, which is also the nearest money order office.

Miscellaneous

Allen William, wheelwright

Barrett James, carpenter

Baynham James, shoemaker

Browne John, Esq., Hall Court

Chadd Samuel, shoemaker

Coldwell John, miller, Paunton mill

Cooper James, stonemason

Dilworth John, nailmaker

Dutson Edwin, wheelwright

Dutson Mrs. Jane, Green Dragon

Dutson William, smith

Gittings William, tailor

Heming James, Esq., Upper House

Heming Henry, shoemaker

Hill James, grocer and beer retailer

Hodges Mrs. Agnes, beer retailer

Hopton Rev. William Parsons, M.A., Vicarage

Mutlow Mrs. Ann, Paunton court

Ockey John, schoolmaster, parish clerk, and postmaster

Pember John, carpenter

Probert William, Wheat Sheaf

Pudge William, carpenter

Sandford Miss Hannah, mistress of National school

Sandford Thomas, tailor

Smith William, miller, Court mill

Watkins John, smith

Wilkins Moses, shopkeeper

Farmers

Abell John, Wellington

Brown Richard, Browntree

Brown Thomas, Birches

Chambers William, Lower house

Cook Thomas, Cheyney court

Crump William, Woodcroft

Derry John, Upper Walton

Dowding John, Frome court

Edwards James, Dovefields

Gardiner James, Batchfield

Homes Richard, White hill

Jay James, Hanburies

Jones Richard, Rea

Loggen Mary

Morris Samuel, farmer and carrier

Nicholas John, Walton

Shepheard William, Halfway head

Taylor Nathaniel, Millfield

Vale Robert, Furrows

Vale Williams, Hailmond’s Frome

Wall James, Instone

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.

Administration

  • County: Herefordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Bromyard
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Frome
  • Poor Law Union: Bromyard
  • Hundred: Radlow
  • Province: Canterbury