Bacton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Parish registers begin: 1724
Bacton, a parish in the district and county of Hereford: near the Dore river, 4 miles NW of Pontrilas r. station, and 11 SW of Hereford. Post-town, Abbeydore under Hereford. Acres, 1,155. Real property, £1,172. Pop., 154. Houses, 28. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £129. Patron, F. Hamp, Esq. The church is good; and there are charities £30
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72]
Bacton, a parish in the hund. of Webtree, union of Dore, county of Hereford; 2 miles north west of Abbey-Dore. Living, a discharged rectory in the archd. and dio. of Hereford; rated at £3 13s. 4d., and in the parliamentary returns at £110; gross income £104. Patron, in 1835, F. Hamp. Here is a school with a small endowment, on which four children receive instruction. Charities to the poor of this parish produce £16 per annum. Pop., in 1801, 167; in 1831, 178. Houses 32. Acres 950. A. P. £595. Poor rates, in 1837, £69.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
Bacton, 11 m. N.W. Hereford. P. 140
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Bacton, a parish, in the union of Dore, hundred of Webtree, county of Hereford, 11 ½ miles (SW by W) from Hereford; containing 140 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1177 acres, and is bounded on the east by the river Dore: the land is fertile in corn and apples, and a considerable quantity of cider is made; timber of good quality thrives well, and there is a large supply of excellent limestone. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £3. 13. 4., and in the patronage of Francis Hamp, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £122. 9. The church contains, in the north side of the chancel, a monument of the Corinthian order, with a curious inscription to the memory of Mrs. Blanche Parry, of Newcourt, in the parish, and for many years maid of honour to Queen Elizabeth. A school is aided by a donation of £15 per annum from the rector. Mrs. Blanche Parry, in 1589, bequeathed as much land as would produce 140 bushels of wheat and rye, to be divided among the poor of Bacton and the hamlet of Newton (nr. Leintwardine); and there are also other bequests to the poor, recorded on a stone slab in the church. Some chalybeate springs have been discovered within the last few years.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV
Bacton is a small parish and village, 4 miles north-west from Pontrilas railway station, 12 south-west from Hereford, and 1 mile and a half from Abbey Dore, in Webtree hundred, Dore union, Hereford county court, archdeaconry and bishopric, and Weobley rural deanery, situated in the Golden Valley, near the river Dore. The church of St. Peter is a small old stone building, with square tower, in the Norman style, in good repair, and has nave, porch, chancel, font, 2 bells, and a monument to Blanche Parry, a maid of honour to Queen Elizabeth; the communion cloth is an ancient piece of tapestry worked by her; she left £14 yearly to the poor of the parish. The living is a rectory, worth £130, with residence, in the gift of John Hampden Hamp, Esq.; the Rev. Charles Proberts, M.A., is the rector. There is a Charity school for boys, and girls. Bacton villa is the seat of William Henry Hamp, Esq. The population in 1801 was 154 ; the acreage is 1,155. The soil is sandy and loamy; the subsoil is clay and sand stone. John H. Hamp, Esq., is chief landowner. There are charities of £20 yearly value.
Bacton Green is half a mile west.
New Court, Cwm, Tremoriddig, Green Farm, and Pentwyn are places here.
Parish Clerk, John Hollett.
Hamp William Henry, esq. The Villa
Proberts Rev. Charles, M.A. Rectory
Sternschuss Rev. Paul Hymen, Upper Grange
Bolt James, farmer, Green farm
Cook Joseph, blacksmith
Davis Jane (Mrs.), farmer, Up. Cwm
George Samuel, farmer, Grange farm
Hughes Samuel, New inn
Lambert Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Tremoriddig
Powell Charles, farmer, Upper house
Powell Thomas, farmer, Pentwyn
Probert Charles, farmer, Cwm farm
Rogers Thomas, farmer, Pear Tree cot
Sambrook Richd. miller, New Court mill
Saunders Joseph, farmer, New court
Williams John, beer retailer
Williams Richard, carpenter
Letters are received through Hereford. The nearest money order office is at Kcntchurch.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.
Bacton is a small parish and village, 3 miles north-west from pontrilas railway station, 12 miles south-west from Hereford, 1 ½ from abbey_dore in Webtree Hundred, Dore Union, Hereford county court, archdeaconry and bishopric; situated in the Golden Valley, near, the river Dore. The church of St. Peter is a small old stone building, with square tower, in the Norman style, in good repair; has nave, porch, chancel, first, 3 bells, and a monument to Blanch Parry, a maid of honor to Queen Elizabeth; the communion cloth is an ancient piece of tapestry worked by her; she left £14 yearly to the poor of the parish. The living is a rectory, worth £130, with residence; the Rev. C. Proberts, is the incumbent. There is a Charity school for boys and girls. Bacton Villa is the seat of W. Hamp, Esq. The population, in 1851, was 159, and the acreage is 1,155; the soil is sandy and loamy; the subsoil is clay and sandstone. John W. Hamp, Esq., is chief landowner. There are Charities of £20 yearly value.
Bacton Green is half a mile west.
Letters are received through Hereford, which is also the nearest money order office.
Hamp William, Esq., the Villa
Cook John, blacksmith
Cook William, carpenter
Hollet John, parish clerk
Holley Richard, Oak Inn
Hughes Samuel, New Inn
Probert Rev. Charles
Sambrook Richard, miller, New Court mill
Badham James, New Court
Bolt James, Green bank
Davis Thomas, Cwn farm
Hopkins Jesse, the Grange
Powell Charles, Tremoriddig
Powell John, Pentwyn
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.