Yate is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1660
Nonconformists include: Baptist
YATE, a parish, with a village, in Chipping-Sudbury district, Gloucester; on the Gloucester and Bristol railway, 1 mile W by N of Chipping-Sudbury. It has a post-office under Chipping-Sudbury, a r. station, and Chipping-Sodbury workhouse. Acres, 4,042. Real property, £9,905; of which £1,395 are in mines, and £10 in quarries. Pop. in 1861, 1,138; of whom 119 were in the workhouse. Houses, 210. The property is much subdivided. Yate House, Yate Lawn, and Firgrove House are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £851. Patron, the Rev. G. L. Harvey. The church is later English, and was interiorly restored in 1850. There are a Baptist chapel, national and British schools, and charities £40.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Yate (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Chipping-Sodbury, Upper division of the hundred of Henbury, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 1 mile (W.) from Chipping Sodbury; containing 1057 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4042 acres, of which 656 are common or waste, an act for inclosing which was passed in 1842 : the substratum abounds in coal, of which there are some mines in operation. The village has been made a polling-place for the W. division of the county. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £30. 18. 11½., and in the gift of W. S. Goodenough, Esq. : the tithes have been commuted for £685, and the glebe comprises 154 acres.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Brown T, boot & shoe warehouse, Sunnyside. Boots made to order. Repairs of kinds neatly executed
Codrington Arms, Acton Lane – J Washbourne
Collins H, grocer, Acton Lane
Common Inn, Dyer Lane – W Dyer
Cross Keys, Acton Lane
Daniel J, butcher, Station rd
Davis J, grocer, Station rd
Dixon J, grocer, Goose Green
Fletcher J, engineer
Gowen H, carpenter, Westerleigh rd
Heaven W, baker, Station rd
Higg D, bootmaker, Goose Green
Hirdson W, carpenter, Goose Green
Hudson J, builder
Iles F, builder, Station rd
Pearce G, blacksmith, Station rd
Ponting C, tailor
Post Office – W Aldon
Powell W J, builder, carpenter, joiner, undertaker, &c., Station rd. Estimates given for all kinds of work
Railway Hotel, Station rd – S Cox
Shipp W, carpenter, Westerleigh rd
Silk A, carpenter, Yate Rocks
Stockden G, coal mcht, Station rd
Swan Inn, Station rd – W Smith
Taylor S, mason
Washbourne R, beer retailer, Acton Lane
White Lion Hotel, Station rd – J Aureden
Yate Star Military Band – G Davis
Source: Bennetts Business Directory (Gloucestershire Section) 1899; Bennett & Co. Printers and Publishers, Birmingham.