Wormington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St Catherine
Parish registers begin: 1719
Wormington, a parish in Winchcomb district, Gloucester; 5½ miles S of Evesham r. station. Post town, Evesham. Acres, 560. Real property, £681. Pop., 79. Houses, 17. The manor belongs to S. G. Gist, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £143. Patron, S. G. Gist, Esq. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Wormington, 5m. S. Evesham. P. 73
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews
Note. – the oldest existing Register is a small volume of parchment in fair condition, containing Baptisms, Marriages and Burials. The second volume, which contains no Marriages, is of paper bound in green morocco, and having brass clasps. This contains no Weddings. Inside is written “This Register Book was given for the use of the Parish of Wormington, by Nathaniel Jeffreys, Esq.”
The third volume is of ordinary official type, but the pages with entries have been torn out and are laid loosely in the 1813 volume.
The extracts have been made by the Rev. J. Harvey Bloom, under whose supervision they are now printed with the consent of the late deceased Rector, the Rev. S. Du Pré.
William Baylis & Sarah Cook, 23 Dec. 1755
William Webb & Mary Summers, w., 23 Oct. 1758
Wm. Young, of Snowshill, & Elizabeth Simons, 14 Sept. 1760
John Price, of Dumbleton, & Mary Davis, 12 Oct. 1766
John Alcock & Mary Wheeler, 4 June 1767
George Garner & Sarah Freeman, 17 Apr. 1769
Samuel Keyte & Sarah Blink, 9 July 1770
Joseph Steevens, of Staunton, & Sukey Clayton, 4 May 1774
William Care, of Dumbleton, & Mary Staite, 16 Aug. 1774
George Coleman, of Broadway, & Ann Phipps, 22 – 1774
Dave Hemming, of Great Washbourne, & Elizabeth Phipps, 30 Jan. 1775
William Robins & Elizabeth Stait, 20 Nov. 1777
Robert Woodward & Mary Baylis, 25 Oct. 1787
William Warren, of Buckland, & Mary Care, 28 July 1788
William Halter, of Burton-on-the-Heath, & Elizabeth Rose, lic., 9 Feb. 1792
Thomas Sadler & Mary Webb, 16 Feb. 1792
Thomas Cole, of Salford, & Mary Davis, 13 Nov. 1792
Jonathan Gilbert & Sarah Davis, 6 Nov. 1797
Robert Franklyn & Isabella Smith, 25 Nov. 1797
John Smith, of Evesham, & Hester Phipps, 18 June 1806
Francis Dunn, of Dumbleton, & Alice Baylis, 1 Oct. 1806
George Clements & Sarah Barker, 9 Jan. 1810
Edward Smith, of Child’s Wickham, & Ann Allcock, 7 May 1810
Thos. Lane, of Sedgbarrow, & Margaret Withers, 23 Feb. 1811
Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 36, Essex Street, Strand, London. 1898.
William Wright, of Clench, & Sarah Nicholls, 13 June 1719
Nathan Newton & Alice Walls, 3 Oct. 1719
Laurence Clayton & Ann Toney, 22 July 1725
Richard Print, of Ashton-Underhill, & Martha White of Broadway, lic., 12 Sept. 1725
John Joyner, of Broadway, & Hannah Cull, 21 July 1726
Nicholas Curtis, of Didbrook, & Ann Bartlett, of Stanway, lic., 28 Sept. 1726
John Smith, of South Littleton, & Ann Wickes, 9 Jan. 1726
George Best, of Dumbleton & Mary Smith, of Condicote, lic., 30 Sept. 1729
Richard Tinkler, of Child’s Wickham, & Sarah Goddside, lic., 26 Feb. 1729
Thomas Hopkins, of Dumbleton, & Mary Worrell, 28 Oct. 1734
Moses Smith, of Bricklehampton, & Sarah Clayton, 27 Apr. 1742
Wm. Veale & Mary Beal, of Child’s Wickham, 5 July 1742
Benjamin Lambley & Mary Phips, 1 Oct. 1743
John Morris, of Bretforton, & Ann Ashwin, of Cow Honeybourne, lic., 25 Sept. 1745
William Cotton, of Badsey, & Elizabeth Phillips, 10 Oct. 1745
Thos. Oldacres & Mary Braval, both of Buckland, 2 Mar. 1746
Anthony Phipps & Hester Courier, 20 Oct. 1748
William Clark & Ann Collings, 30 Sept. 1749
William Saunders, of Alston, & Mary Barrett, 29 Mar. 1749
James Stanley & Mary Powell, 4 Oct. 1750
Thomas Staite & Mary Lamley, 13 Oct. 1752
Samuel Sommers & Mary Pew, - 1753
William Stanley & Elizabeth Martin, 15 Oct. 1753
Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol. IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 36, Essex Street, Strand, London. 1898.
Wormington is a township, village, and parish, 6 miles from Evesham station on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton line of railway, 1 miles and a half from Broadway, 26 from Gloucester, and 92 north-west from London, in the lower division of the Hundred of Kiftsgate, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, and Union of Winchcombe. The church is a stone building, having a tower, nave, aisles, chancel and 3 bells. The living is a rectory, of the value of £143 per year, in the gift of S. G. Gist, Esq.; the Rev. J. R. F. Billingsley, M.A., is the present incumbent. The acreage contained in the parish is 512 acres, and the rateable value £706. Samuel G. Gist, Esq., is lord of the manor. The population, in 1851, was 62.
Billingsley Rev. John Richard Frederick, M.A., Rectory
Crump James, farmer
James Edward, farmer
Stanley James, farmer
Letters are received through Evesham, which is also the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.