Woodchester, Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Woodchester is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1563

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and Roman Catholic.

Parishes adjacent to Woodchester

  • King’s Stanley
  • Nympsfield
  • Rodborough
  • Nailsworth
  • Amberley

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer 1870

WOODCHESTER, a parish, with a village, in Stroud district, Gloucester; on the Nailsworth railway, 2½ miles SW of Stroud. It has a post-office under Stroud, and a r. station. The parish comprises 1,203 acres. Real property, £3,728. Pop., 816. Houses, 189. The property is much subdivided. W. Park, W. House, the Priory, Park Hill, Atcombe House , Southfield House, and Chesterhill House are chief residences. Remains of a fine Roman pavement are near the site of the old church. The manufacture of broad-cloths, scarlet and billiard cloths, and pins is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £325. Patron,Hooper, Esq. The church was rebuilt, on a new site, in 1863. There are Baptist and Roman Catholic chapels, and an endowed school with £125 a year. A Dominican priory, large and handsome, was erected in 1858, and educates candidates for the priesthood. A Franciscan convent, also large and handsome, was erected in 1859, and has about 22 nuns. An orphanage, in connexion with the convent, was established in 1862; and educates, feeds, and clothes 18 children.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Woodchester, 2 m. N.E. Horseley. P. 908

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Directories

Woodchester Bennetts Business Directory 1899

Browning J, grocer, High st

Browning W, dealer in all kinds of groceries, sweets, &c., Station rd

Cardwell E W, builder

Cross Inn, High st – T Wilson

Demmery S, bootmaker

Fletcher W, grocer

Fox E J & Co., cloth manfrs. Southfields

Gorton G, family grocer & provision dealer, General Stores, Post Office, High st

Grist J & Co., shoddy manfrs

Harding J, grocer, High st

Hatton Mrs, dressmaker, High st

Hopkins W J, seedsman

Hyett M, grocer

Jefferies S, coal mcht, Railway Station

Jersey Creamery Co, Inchbrook

Jerseys. Ltd, dairy appliance makers

Jones E, painter, High st

Lewton W, carpenter

Lugg W F, shoeing smith, Station Hill

Mabbett W M, butcher, Cainscross

Matthews J & W, shoeing smiths, Frogmarsh

Newman S J, brassfounder

Old Fleece Inn, Rooksmore – J W Neale

Pearce G H, carriage builder

Penn Mrs, draper

Phillips N, green grocer, Bridge st

Pitt N C & Co, cork manfrs

Plough Inn – W Lewton

Pugh T, grocer, Cainscross

Ram Inn, High st – C Harrison

Ratcliff C & J, carpenters

Royal Oak – J Mortimer

Spring Inn – W Shill

Smith W, greengrocer

Telegraph & Money Order Office

Turner A & Co, drapers

Turner J, butcher, High st

Ward, grocer

While, grocer, Paker Hill

White Horse Inn – J Hooper

Woodward W, baker, High st

Workman H, timber mcht

Yew Tree Inn, High st – G Latham

Yorke J M, grocer, Selsey rd

Source: Bennetts Business Directory (Gloucestershire Section) 1899; Bennett & Co. Printers and Publishers, Birmingham.

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Stroud
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
  • Poor Law Union: Stroud
  • Hundred: Longtree
  • Province: Canterbury