Winchcombe

Photo of St Peter's parish church, Winchcombe, Gloucestershire, seen from the southwest. On the left is School House, built in 1867. by Philip Pankhurst, some rights reserved.

Winchcombe Gloucestershire Family History

Winchcombe is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Gloucestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Abbey Demenses and Langley, Coates, Cockbury, Corndean, Frampton, Sudeley, Gretton, Naunton, Naunton and Frampton, Postlip, and Greet.

Parish church: St Peter

Parish registers begin: 1539

Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.

Industry: Silk and paper and Woollen Goods.

High Street, Winchcombe. The copyright on this image is owned by Andrew Smith and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

Parishes adjacent to Winchcombe

  • Hailes
  • Prescott
  • Dumbleton
  • Toddington
  • Bishop’s Cleeve
  • Stanley Pontlarge
  • Alderton
  • Guiting Power
  • Beckford
  • Charlton Abbots
  • Sudeley Manor

Historical Descriptions

Winchcombe

BEETON’S BRITISH GAZETTEER 1870

Winchcombe, a market town and parish of Gloucestershire, situated on the river Isbourne, 13 miles N.E. from Gloucester. The church is a noble Gothic structure. The town also contains some chapels for nonconformists, a new town-hall, a mechanics’ institute, and a grammar-school. It formerly possessed a magnificent abbey, of which no traces now remain. Post town, Cheltenham. It has a money ord. off. Manf. Silk and paper. It was formerly famous for its woollen goods. Mar. D. Sat. Pop. of par. 2937. The nearest station is Cheltenham, on the Swindon and South Wales section of the Great Western Railway, from which it is distant about 7 miles.

Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870

Winchcomb, a small town, a parish, and a district, in Gloucester. The town stands on the river Isborne, under the Cotswolds, at the terminus of the Winchcomb and Midland railway, 6¾ miles NE of Cheltenham; was known, at Domesday, as Wincelcombe; had a mitred Benedictine abbey, founded in 798 by King Kenulph, destroyed by the Danes, and rebuilt as a secular college in 985 by Bishop Oswald; was a residence and the burial-place of King Kenulph; numbers amongst its natives Bishop Tideman and the physician Merret; is a borough by prescription, with two bailiffs and eight burgesses, possessing little jurisdiction; is also a seat of petty sessions and county courts; carries on industry in a silk factory, a large paper mill, a tan-yard and skin-yard, and four flour-mills; and has a post-office under Cheltenham, a banking office, a police station, a neat recent town hall, a reading room, a mechanics’ institute, an early English and Tudor parish church, Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, two endowed schools with £70 a year, a national school, a workhouse, charities £48, a weekly market on Saturday, and five annual fairs.—The parish includes eleven hamlets, and comprises 5,700 acres. Real property, £13,486. Pop., in 1851, 2,824; in 1861, 2,937. Houses, 634. Sudeley Castle, Postlip Hall, Corndean Hall, and the Abbey are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £200. Patron, Lord Sudeley. A chapel of ease and a Wesleyan chapel are at Gretton; and a ruined Norman Chapel is at Postlip.—The district contains 21 parishes and 3 parts; and is divided into Guiting and Cleeve sub-districts. Acres, 57,494. Poor rates in 1863, £4,667. Pop. in 1851, 10,136; in 1861, 10,082. Houses, 2,245. Marriages in 1866, 65; births, 335,0 of which 23 were illegitimate; deaths, 172,-of which 58 were at ages under 5 years, and 9 at ages above 85. Marriages in the 10 years 1851-60, 630; births, 3,027; deaths, 1,843. The places of worship, in 1851, were 26 of the Church of England, with 4,584 sittings; 5 of Baptists, with 655 s.; 3 of Lady Huntingdon’s Connexion, with 518 s.; and 5 of Wesleyans, with 723 s. The schools were 16 public day-schools, with 534 scholars; 14 private day-schools, with 172 s.; 32 Sunday schools, with 1,500 s.; and 1 evening school for adults, with 25 s.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Abbey Demenses

IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES CIRCA 1870

Abbey-Demenses, a hamlet in the parish of Winchcombe, Gloucester. See Winchcombe.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

THE NATIONAL GAZETTEER 1868

Abbey Demenses, a hmlt. in the par. of Winchcomb, in the hund. of Lower Kiftsgate, in the co. of Gloucester, not far from Winchcomb. An abbey of the Benedictine order was founded here by Cenwulf, King of Mercia, in the year 798.

Source: The National Gazetteer: a Topographical Dictionary of the British Islands compiled from the latest and best sources and illustrated with a complete county atlas and numerous maps. Vol. 1. Virtue & Co. London. 1868.

Corndean

IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES CIRCA 1870

Corndean, a hamlet in Winchcomb parish, Gloucester; 1 mile SSW of Winchcomb.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Frampton and Naunton

IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES CIRCA 1870

Frampton and Naunton, a hamlet in Winchcomb parish, Gloucester; near Winchcomb. Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Gretton

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1851

Gretton, a chapelry in the parish of Winchcombe, county of Gloucester; 1¾ mile north-west of Winchcombe. Living, a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Winchcombe. Tithes commuted in 1814. Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Naunton

IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES CIRCA 1870

Naunton, a hamlet in Winchcomb parish, Gloucester; 3 ½ miles NNW of Winchcomb. Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Sudeley Tenements

A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF GREAT BRITAIN AND IRELAND 1833

Sudeley Tenements, co. Gloucester. P.T. Gloucester (104) 14½ m. NE b E. Pop. with Pa. A hamlet in the parish of Winchcombe and lower division of the hundred of Kiftsgate

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. III; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Marriages

Marriages at Winchcombe 1539-1812

Marriages at Winchcombe 1539-1812 - UK Genealogy Archives

Transcriptions

Winchcombe Marriages 1810 to 1812
Winchcombe Marriages 1805 to 1809
Winchcombe Marriages 1800 to 1804
Winchcombe Marriages 1795 to 1799
Winchcombe Marriages 1790 to 1794
Winchcombe Marriages 1785 to 1789
Winchcombe Marriages 1780 to 1784
Winchcombe Marriages 1775 to 1779
Winchcombe Marriages 1770 to 1774

Directories

Winchcombe Bennetts Business Directory 1899
Winchcomb Universal British Directory 1791

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Winchcombe
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
  • Poor Law Union: Winchcombe
  • Hundred: Kiftsgate
  • Province: Canterbury