Whaddon, Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Whaddon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Parish church: St. Margaret

Parish registers begin: 1674

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Whaddon

  • Brookthorpe
  • Standish
  • Upton St Leonards
  • Quedgeley
  • Gloucester St Mary de Lode
  • Matson
  • Harescombe

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

WHADDON, a parish in the district and county of Gloucester; 3 miles S of Gloucester r. station. Post town, Gloucester. Acres, 727. Real property, £1,418. Pop., 125. Houses, 21. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Brookthorpe. The church was partly restored in 1855.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Poll Books

Whaddon Poll Book 1834 - Google Books

Directories

Whaddon Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Whaddon is a township, parish and small village, 3 miles south from Gloucester railway station, 5 ½ north-north-west from Stroud, 13 south-west of Cheltenham, and 3 ½ north-west from Painswick, in the middle division of the Hundred of Dudstone and King’s Barton, Gloucester Union, West Gloucestershire archdeaconry, rural deanery, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric.  It is situated on the high road from Stroud to Gloucester.  The Great Western and Midland railway passes through the parish.  The church of Saint Margaret is an old stone building, the nave and chancel in the style of the 13th and the tower of the 15th century, was in 1855 (with the exception of the chancel, which belongs to the impropriator) entirely restored and repaired; it has nave, chancel, and western tower of two storeys, with battlements, parapet without pinnacles, and had a peal of 5 bells, of which 2 alone are now serviceable.  The living is a perpetual curacy, £52 gross yearly value.  This parish was permanently united with that of Brookthorpe, in 1843, with residence and 12 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester and J. Neeld, M.P.; the Rev. Francis T. Bayley, B.A., is the incumbent.  The children in this parish attend the school at Brookthorpe.  The population, in 1851, was 120, and the acreage is 727.

Gilberts, Old Farm, and Brickhouse, are farms.

Webb Mr. Hugh

Brooke William, farmer & cider retailer, Gilberts

Brooke William, jun. farmer, Old farm

Carter James, farmer

Houldey Lewis, blacksmith

Long Daniel, farmer, Brick house farm

Rea William, boot & shoe maker

Smart Thomas, butcher

Letters received through Gloucester, which is also the nearest money order office.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol.  Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.

Marriages

Marriages at Whaddon 1620 to 1812

Note. – Volume I of the Whaddon Register contains Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1674 to 1711.  It has been much injured by water, and perhaps also by fire, so that many of the entries are wholly or partly illegible, and the lower part of the parchment pages has been cut away.  This little Register has lately been rebound in a parchment cover, with spare pages added, on which has been written a fair copy of the legible entries, supplemented from the Transcripts at Gloucester, and an Index.

Volume II contains Baptisms and Burials, 1712-1813, and Marriages 1712-1750

Volume III contains Marriages only, 1754 – 1810.

The Marriage entries here printed that are of earlier date than 1674 are from the Bishops’ Transcripts at Gloucester.  Transcripts prior to 1674 are extant for the years 1617, 1620-5, 1627-9, 1632, 1636-9, 1663, 1665, and 1670.  There is also a memorandum prefixed to the Transcripts, dated May 28, 1813, signed by John Bishop, curate, certifying that the parish Register of Whaddon commences 1712, with some other particulars.  This date (1712) is evidently a mistake.

The following clergy are mentioned :- John Griffiths, curate 1620, minister 1621-32; Samuel Acson, curate 1636, minister 1637; Amos Jones, minister of this parish and rector of St. Michael’s, in Gloucester, buried February 25, 1677; John Harris, minister 1680; Henry Abbot, curate 1683.

The entries 1620-1712 have been transcribed by the Rev. W. Symonds, M.A., and the remainder to 1812 by the Rev. E. H. Blake, M.A., vicar of Brookthorpe with Whaddon, by whose sanction they are here printed.

Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol. XIII. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1908.

Marriages at Whaddon 1620-1812 - UK Genealogy Archives

Transcriptions

Whaddon Marriages 1754 to 1812

[The parties are always of Whaddon unless otherwise described.]

William Clement & Eleanor Ruff, 23 Feb. 1754

James Ravenhill & Mary Nu, 14 Oct. 1754

Thomas Butt, of Rodborough, & Sarah Chell, 2 Dec. 1755

John Parker & Elizabeth Deague, 30 Sept. 1759

Richard Edwards, p. Brookthorpe, & Jane Perkins, 6 Aug. 1760

James Etheridge, of Evesham, & Mary Smith, lic., 8 Sept. 1760

Joseph Child, of Whaddon, & Anne New, of Slutbrooke, lic., 19 Aug. 1761

Richard Harris & Mary Smith, 7 June 1764 (B.T. 1763)

Thomas Ham & Sarah Clark, lic., 26 Oct. 1767

Andrew Jenkins, of Linton, Hereford, & Mary Yeates, 23 Nov. 1767

James Collier, of Coaley, & Betty Cole, lic., 11 June 1770

John Harris & Margaret Gingell, lic., 23 July 1770

William Spice, of Elmore, & Anne Brown, 12 July 1772

Daniel Yates & Elizabeth Jelf, 16 Nov. 1773

Thomas Window, p. Brookthorp, & Elizabeth Matthews, lic., 7 Dec. 1773

Samuel Stephens, of Brookthorp, & Elizabeth Yeates, 17 Oct. 1777

Benjamin Jeanes, p. Standish, & Sarah Cole, 15 Oct. 1778

John Harris, p. Brookthorp, & Elizabeth Perks, 25 Dec. 1780

John Dorney & Hannah Tuffley, lic., 18 Dec. 1781

Richard Hall & Susannah Nicholls, lic., 16 Dec. 1782

Benjamin Land, p. St. Mary de Lode, & Betty Johnson, 30 Jan. 1783

John Powell & Hester Meadows, 16 Sept. 1789

Joseph Neale & Anne Tayler, 25 Oct. 1789

John Harris & Sarah Herbert, lic., 30 Dec. 1790

Thomas Curtis & Mary Hill, 4 Apr. 1791

Thomas Gardiner & Anne Taylor, 8 Dec. 1791

John Field & Margaret Harris, lic., 2 Apr. 1792

John Kembery & Sarah Smith, 23 Dec. 1792

John Aston & Sophia Collier, lic., 14 May 1795

William Stimson & Hannah Taylor, 8 Nov. 1796

Thomas Wren, of this p., & Mary Watkins, p. Randwick, 25 Sept. 1797

Jonathan Taylor & Mary Yeates, 13 Feb. 1798

Thomas Harris, this p., & Esther Harris, p. Brookthorp, 13 May 1798

John Good, of Axbridge, co. Somerset, & Elizabeth Smith, lic., 10 Sept. 1801

James Morgan & Sarah Taylor, 24 Aug. 1802

Morris Watts & Anne Saulcombe, 21 June 1807

William Cowmeadow & Hannah Langstone, 20 Oct. 1807

Richard Townsend & Ann Perkes, 26 Oct. 1807

Thomas Loveday, p. Randwick, & Sophia Harris, lic., 20 June 1808

John Gingell, p. Hardwick, & Sarah Witcomb, 9 Oct. 1810

[No Marriages 1811 – 12. ]

Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol. XIII. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1908.

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Gloucester
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Gloucester
  • Poor Law Union: Gloucester
  • Hundred: Dudstone and King’s Barton
  • Province: Canterbury