Westonbirt is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1598
WESTON-BIRT, a parish in Tetbury district, Gloucester; 3 miles SW by S of Tetbury, and 10 SW of Tetbury-Road r. station. It has a post-office under Tetbury. Acres, 1,904. Real property, with Lasborough, £2,432. Pop., 190. Houses, 38. The property belongs to R. S. Holford, Esq.; and W.-B. House is his seat. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £226. Patron, R. S. Holford, Esq. The church was restored in 1841. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Weston Birt is a township, parish, and village, 3 ½ miles south-west from Tetbury, 10 south-west from Tetbury road station, 19 ½ north-east from Bath, 24 south from Gloucester, and 103 from London, in Longtree Hundred, Tetbury Union, East Gloucestershire, Hawkesbury archdeaconry, and Gloucestershire and Bristol bishopric. It is situated on the Bath and Cirencester road. The church is an old stone building in the early English style; was, in 1841, thoroughly restored and enlarged. It has a nave, north aisle, chancel, porches, and square embattled tower, containing 2 bells. In the church is a beautiful monument, by Westmacott, to the Holford family. The living is a rectory, worth £115 yearly, with residence and 90 acres of glebe land, in the gift of R. S. Holford, Esq. The Rev. Charles Norford is the incumbent. There is a mixed school conducted upon the National system, and supported by R. S. Holford, Esq. Weston Birt House is the seat of R. S. Holford, Esq. The gardens and park are justly celebrated for their beauty and extent; the former are ornamented with conservatories, pavilions, fountains, &c., and, together with the park, contain a valuable collection of trees and plants of every description. The village has been almost entirely rebuilt. The population, in 1851, was 234, and the acreage is 1,740 acres. The soil is light loam; the subsoil is principally oolite. R. S. Holford, Esq., M.P. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. There are charities of £2 yearly value.
LASBOROUGH, formerly a Roman settlement, is a distinct parish for ecclesiastical purposes, but for civil purposes it forms part of the township of Weston Birt.
Norford Rev. Charles. Rectory
Holford Robert Stayner, esq. M.P. Weston Birt house
Ashbee John, boot & shoe maker & shopkeeper
Post Office. – David Lovegrove, receiver. Letters arrive through Tetbury. Arrive ½ past 11 a.m.; dispatched ½ past 2 p.m. The nearest money order office is Tetbury.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.
Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol VI. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews
[No marriages recorded for 1775]
John Townsend & Hannah Trotman, both of Lasborough, lic., 1 Aug. 1776
John Slade, of Long Newnton, & Ann Tugwel, 29 Dec. 1777
Samuel Hurcome & Lettis Sheppard, 12 Oct. 1778
Samuel Emly & Martha Stratford [or Pratford], 26 Oct. 1778
John Lovegrove & Sarah Prater, 23 Nov. 1778
John Scriven & Mary White, 18 Oct. 1779
Robert Comely & Hannah Hignell, lic., 13 Jan. 1782
John Ball & Sarah Hall, 2 July 1783
James Perry & Eleanor Davies, 20 Nov. 1783
Robert Green & Ruth Purnell, 9 Nov. 1783
George Nichols & Ruth Butler, 30 Oct. 1783
John Hayward & Jane Walter, 1 Nov. 1784
John Canter [or Carter], of Sodbury, & Mary Floyd, 7 Nov. 1785
William Robins & Martha Ball, 14 Nov. 1785
Richard Baker & Sarah Harris, 23 Jan. 1786
John Vaisey, of Lyncham, Wilts, & Elizabeth Carey, 30 July 1786
Daniel Harris & Mary Weston, 22 Oct. 1787
John Rollings & Mary Perry, 14 Oct. 1787
James Dash & Anne Woodman, of Yate, 13 Jan. 1788
Joseph Pegler & Sarah Wait, 27 Oct. 1788
James Hazell & Mary Tovey, 9 Nov. 1788
James Ellets & Elizabeth Etherige, 24 Jan. 1790
John Alsop, of Stanton St. Quintin, & Sarah Purnell, 20 Nov. 1791
John Bennett & Mary Higgins, 30 Apr. 1792
Joel Hacker & Mary Gale, 28 May 1792
John Carey & Mary Hanks, 15 July 1792
Daniel Guttery & Ann Trotman, of Lasborough, 18 Oct. 1792
John Hyde, of Nailsworth, & Hester Ellery, lic., 19 Apr. 1793
Edward Bowly & Mary Clark, 9 Nov. 1794
Edward Evans & Ann Stephens, 7 Dec. 1794
Richard Lovegrove & Hannah Preyor, 27 Jan. 1795
William Cornuck & Sarah Webb, 5 May 1795
John Hatherill, of Boxwell, & Lidy Woodman, 2 Aug. 1795
Richard Shurmer & Esther Drew, 7 May 1797
Richard Scirton & Sarah Clark, 20 Mar. 1798
John Harris & Sarah Webb, 30 Oct. 1798
James Perry & Mary Harris, 6 Dec. 1798
George Ball & Elizabeth Gilman, 25 Dec. 1798
Isaac Carey & Elizabeth Read, 21 Jan. 1799
John Tillay & Catherine Hodges, 16 May 1799
William Tilley & Mary Wallington, 2 Sept. 1799
John Chandler, of Boxwell, & Susanna Deverell, lic., 12 Dec. 1799
William Webb, of Minchinhampton, & Anne Townsend, 9 Dec. 1800
Samuel Ball & Ann Dash, of Seagry, 19 Dec. 1802
William Renton Evans & Sarah Evans, 13 Oct. 1803
Nathan Marchant and Sarah Window, 18 Apr. 1805
James Belcher & Martha Fletcher, 25 Sept. 1805
Daniel Neal & Sarah Ball, 14 May 1807
William Collet & Sarah Phelps, 29 Nov. 1807
William Borton & Sarah Bonwell, 31 May 1808
John Ball, w., & Martha Nichols, 25 Sept. 1808
Daniel Wilson & Mary Green, 3 Nov. 1808
John Brooke, of Thornbury, & Mary Woolworth Tugwell, lic., 22 May 1809
John Smith, of Crudwell, Wilts, & Sarah Scutts, 26 Nov. 1810
Samuel Ellets & Ann Ball, 25 Feb. 1811
Isaac Ashby & Sarah Chapman, 5 Sept. 1811
[No marriages listed for 1812]
Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol VI. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.