Welford, Gloucestershire & Warwickshire

Welford is an Ancient Parish partly in Gloucestershire and partly in Warwickshire.

Alternative names: Welford-on-Avon

Other places in the parish include: Bickmarsh, Little Dorsington, and Bickmersh.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1561

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Welford

  • Bidford on Avon
  • Marston Sicca
  • Temple Grafton
  • Weston on Avon
  • Dorsington
  • Binton
  • Luddington

Historical Descriptions

Welford

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Welford, a parish partly in the upper division of the hund. of Deerhurst, union of Stratford-on-Avon, county of Gloucester, and partly in the Stratford division of the hund. of Barlichway, county of Warwick; 9 miles north of Chipping-Campden, on the river Avon. It contains the hamlet of Bickmersh with Little Dorsington. Living, a rectory, formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £29 15s. 10d.; gross income £442. Tithes commuted in 1799-1800. Patroness, in 1841, Lady Amherst. The church is principally in the Norman style, and has a lofty tower with pinnacles. The Wesleyan Methodists have a place of worship here; and there are 5 daily schools and 1 day and Sunday National, — one of the former endowed with £3 per annum for the education of 8 boys. Other charities £4 3s. 4d. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, of the parish, £309 10s.; of Welford, exclusive of Dorsington, £238 18s. Acres of the parish 3,370. Houses 146. A.P. £2.718. Pop., in 1801, 516; in 1831, 669.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Bickmarsh

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Bickmersh and Little-Dorsington, 5 miles S.E. Alcester. P. 130.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Bickmersh and Little Dorsington, a hamlet in the parish of Welford, Stratford division of the hund. of Barlichway, county of Warwick; 8 miles south-west of Stratford-on-Avon, intersected by the Iknield-street. Pop., in 1811, 21; in 1831, 65. Houses 12. Acres 1,340. Other returns with the parish.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Little Dorsington

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Dorsington (Little) See Bickmersh.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Dorsington, Little, a hamlet, in the parish of Welford, union of Stratford-on-Avon, Stratford division of the hundred of Barlichway, S. division of the county of Warwick, 6 ½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Alcester; containing with Bickmersh, 130 inhabitants.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV

Poll Books

Welford Poll Book 1834 - Google Books

Directories

Welford Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Stratford on Avon
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
  • Rural Deanery: Campden
  • Poor Law Union: Stratford on Avon
  • Hundred: Deerhurst
  • Province: Canterbury