Upton St Leonards is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Upton St. Leonards, which lies south-east of Gloucester, anciently extended north-westwards to the Sud brook at Saintbridge and had many detached pieces around Gloucester, including several in Barton Street and Sud Meadow. The irregularities in its boundaries were removed in 1882 and 1885; at the latter date the pieces within the city boundary from 1874 were transferred to Barton St. Mary. Land at Saintbridge was added to Gloucester in 1900 and 1935. Source: ‘Gloucester: Outlying hamlets’, in A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 4, the City of Gloucester, ed. N M Herbert (London, 1988), pp. 382-410. British History Online [accessed 15 August 2017].
Parish church: St Leonard
Parish registers begin: 1646
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Upton-St. Leonard, a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Gloucester; 3 miles SE of Gloucester r. station. It has a post-office under Gloucester. Acres, 2,975. Real property, £7,829. Pop., 1,035. Houses, 216. The property is much subdivided. Bowden Hall, St. Leonard’s Court, and Saint Bridge House are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £175. Patron, the Bishop of G. and B. The church was improved, and the chancel rebuilt, in 1850. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and a fine national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].