Turkdean, Gloucestershire

Turkdean is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1531

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Turkdean

  • Bourton on the Water
  • Haselton
  • Hampnett with Stowell
  • Notgrove
  • Cold Salperton
  • Cold Aston
  • Eastington
  • Farmington

Historical Descriptions

Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

TURKDEAN, a parish in Northleach district, Gloucester; 4½ miles SW of Bourton-on-the-Water r. station Post town, Northleach, under Cheltenham. Acres, 1,890. Real property, £2,064. Pop., 291. Houses, 62. The property is divided among four. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £208.* Patron, Christchurch, Oxford. The church is Norman. There are a national school and charities £36.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Turkdean, co. Gloucester.

P.T. North Leach (81) 2 m. N b W. Pop. 228.

A parish in the hundred of Bradley, containing extensive quarries of good freestone, much of which was used in the building of Blenheim House. The living is a dis. vicarage in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; valued in K.B. 10l.; ann. val. P. R. 104l.; church ded. to All Saints; patron, Christ Church, Oxford.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. III; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Marriages

Marriages at Turkdean 1572 to 1837

Note. – The earliest Register contains entries of Christenings on the first 32 pages, then Weddings for 13 pages, then a page of Christenings, then 16 pages of Burials. The first entries are in 1572, and the last in 1741. The Weddings cease at 1736. The pages (of parchment) are 12 in. by 6 ½ in. There is no cover, and the first page of Christenings has become almost illegible from exposure. Of five pages from which the bottom has been cut, one shews an ink mark like the top of a capital letter, as if an entry has been removed. Opposite entries dated from 1680 there is a terrier of the lands subject to tithe.

Volume II, 1741 to 1809, appears to have been rebound when completed. The pages (of parchment) are 12 in. by 7 ½ in. Up to 1757 the entries are mixed. After that date the pages are headed Baptisms and Burials, the first printed form used in the parish having displaced it so far as Weddings are concerned.

Volume III, 1757 to 1812, consists of a printed paper-leaved Register used for writing Banns and Weddings on the same form. 22 pages are used, 8 ½ pages unused. There is no cover.

Volume IV, 1813 to 1837, is a printed book with pages similar to those of Volume III, but well bound in vellum. Of the 100 pages only 11 are used.

These extracts have been made by the Rev. G. H. B. Greening, and are now printed under his supervision.

Marriages at Turkdean 1570-1837 - UK Genealogy Archives

Transcriptions

Marriages at Turkdean 1813 to 1837
Turkdean Marriages 1754 to 1812
Turkdean Marriages 1656 to 1753
Turkdean Marriages 1572 to 1655

Directories

Turkdean Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Northleach
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
  • Rural Deanery: Stow
  • Poor Law Union: Northleach
  • Hundred: Bradley
  • Province: Canterbury