Tortworth

Tortworth, Gloucestershire Family History

Tortworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1592

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational

Parishes adjacent to Tortworth

  • Kingswood
  • Berkeley
  • Falfield
  • Charfield
  • Cromhall

Historical Descriptions

Marriages

Marriages at Tortworth 1620 to 1812

Note. – These Marriages are contained in two Registers. Volume I, from 1620 to 1786, is on parchment, with pages 15 in. by 5 in., with a cover also of parchment, having the remains of a small strap to keep it closed. On the title page is written:- “This Booke was bought at Lundon, Anno Dom. 1619. The same year John Mathewe our Parson was inducted into the Parsonage. Robert Roach, William Hicks, Churchwardens.”

On the first page is a note by Jo. Edwards, Rector, 1669 to 1707, to the effect that “when Mr. Audly was Rector here, viz., from 1636 to 1644, most (if not all) of the Marriages and Burials are inserted among the Christenings”, otherwise they are entered separately.

Volume II is on paper, bound in leather, 14 ½ in. by 9 ½ in. On the title page is :- “Tortworth Marriage Register, 1786, Wm. Thomas, Rector; Thomas Hickes, Curate.” This volume consists of printed forms, of which there are five on a page. Only ten pages of this have been used. At the other end of it are forms for publication of Banns, ten pages of which have been used.

These Marriages have been transcribed by the Rev. E. R. Mosley, Rector of Tortworth, and are now printed by his leave after collation with the originals by the Rev. W. Symonds

Marriages at Tortworth 1620-1812 - UK Genealogy Archives

Transcriptions

Tortworth Marriages 1787 to 1812

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Thornbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
  • Rural Deanery: Hawkesbury
  • Poor Law Union: Thornbury
  • Hundred: Grumbald’s Ash
  • Province: Canterbury