Tidenham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Bishton, Church End, Webden, Stoat, and Sedbury.
Parish registers begin: 1708
Tiddenham, (Gloc.) near Chepstow, is a p. 15 m. in com. bounded on 3 sides with the Wye and Severn. It was taken from the Welsh. in the R. of Hen. II. soon after which the Marshals Es. of Pembroke were made Lds. of it. It came in the R. of Edw. VI. to the Es. of Worcester, in whose family, now Ds. of Beaufort, it still remains, or did so lately. At the utmost point of the p. where the Wye and Severn divide, are still to be seen upon the rocks at low-water, the ruins of a chapel, which was dedicated to St. Tecla (corruptly called in the maps Treacle) the first female martyr; who suffered A.D. 47. Here were the seats of the late Mr. Maddocks and Mr. Alex. James.
Source: England’s Gazetteer; Stephen Whatley; 1752.
Sedbury, a hamlet, in the parish of Tidenham, union of Chepstow, hundred of Westbury, W. division of the county of Gloucester; containing 173 inhabitants. It is bounded on the east by the Severn, and on the west by the river Wye, by which it is separated from Chepstow.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.