Note. – Syde is said to be the smallest parish in the Diocese of Gloucester. This will readily be believed when it is stated that the whole number of Marriages recorded between 1686 and 1812 amounts to only 24, and that the entries of all kinds to 1812 are contained in one small volume.
This single volume is headed :- “A new Register Booke for the parishe of Side. Bought by us, John Turner and Thomas Webbe, Churchwardens, Anno Dom. 1685.”
As Syde was frequently held in plurality, some of the Marriage entries would doubtless be found in the Registers of neighbouring parishes.
The Marriage entries have been extracted by Rev. W. Symonds, M.A., and are printed with the sanction of the Rev. R. L. Crawley-Boevey, M.A., the Rector.
Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol. XII. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1906.Marriages at Syde 1686-1812 - UK Genealogy Archives
Thomas Wallin & Mary Pomar, 30 Dec. 1698
James Lawrence & Mary Watkins, both p. Withington, 17 July 1718
Thomas Naish & Anne Freeman, both p. Brockworth, 16 Nov. 1718
John Blanch & Betty Vernum, 4 Oct. 1719
George Lawrence, p. Daglingworth, & Penellope Wooley, of this p., 2 Aug. 1730
John Parslow, p. N. Cerney, & Mary Webb, of this p., 13 Oct. 1732
Thomas Venfield & Elizabeth Prichard, both p. Elkstone, 14 Apr. 1733
Cheveral Jones & Elizabeth Dix, both of this p., 11 Mar. 1739
John Abell, p. Winston, & Beata Canter, of this p., 13 Feb. 1754
John Pill & Betty Herbert, both of this p., 30 Sept. 1759
Arnold Hope, p. Bledington, & Jane Brunsdon, of this p., 21 July 1760
Robert Brown, p. Brimpsfield, & Ann turner, of this p., lic., 27 Sept. 1762
John Price & Hester Mitchel, both of this p., 10 Oct. 1768
John Musto & Eleanor Scriven, both of this p., 9 Oct. 1775
William Fryer, p. Longney, & Anne Lyne, of this p., lic., 22 Apr. 1784
William Townsend, p. Weston, Glouc., & Ane Web, p. Dunsborne Abbots, lic., 1 Apr. 1785
William Herbert, p. Churchdown, & Hannah Line, of this p., lic., 28 Apr. 1788
John Herbert, p. Elmston, Glouc., & Susannah Lyne, this p., lic., [this order], 2 May 1786
Thomas Lyne, of this p., & Betty Blake, p. Withington, lic., 1 June 1790
Henry Herbert, p. Brinsfield, Glouc., & Ann Marshfield, of the same p., 10 Oct. 1796
Thomas Smith, p. Brinsfield, Glouc., w., & Mary Bryan, of this p., lic., 18 July 1797
John Bartlett, p. Cirencester, & Hester Price, of this p., lic., 26 Nov. 1797
Robert Chappel Shill & Prudence Golding, both of this p., 30 May 1809
Thomas Goulding, p. Baunton, & Rachael March, this p., 30 Oct. 1809
[No Marriages entered 1810-12.]
[The following note occurs in this Register :- “On Munday, 30 October 1749, dyed at his house at Syde, Walter Ridler, Esq., and was buried in the family vault at Edgworth.” Fosbrooke says the Ridlers sold Syde to the Kingscotes.]
Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol. XII. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1906.
Side (or Syde) is a small village and parish in Cirencester union, containing, by the census of 1861, 55, and in 1871 the same number of inhabitants, and 614 acres of land; in the deanery of Stonehouse, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, East Gloucestershire, on the Cotswold Hills, about 1 mile west from the main road between Gloucester and Cirencester; 7 north-west from the latter place, 9 South from Cheltenham, and 11 south-east from Gloucester. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. William Walker Woollcombe, M.A., is valued at £100 per annum, with 31 acres of glebe land, and is in the patronage of the Misses Ramsbottom, who are ladies of the manor and owners of the whole parish. The church is a small edifice, dedicated to St. Mary, consisting of nave and chancel, with tower and 3 bells. There is a small charitable bequest for the benefit of the poor, distributed in money at Easter. The rateable value of this parish is £645.
Green Robert, farm steward to the Misses Ramsbottom
Letters through Cirencester, which is the nearest money order office.
Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.