Swindon

Photo of Swindon Village, Gloucestershire, England. Swindon Village is both a village and a suburb in the spa town of Cheltenham. Built in the early 12 Century, St Lawrence is an example of fine Norman architecture. Its main feature of interest is its hexagonal tower and there is only one other six-sided tower to be found in the country. What makes this church unique is that all the six sides of the tower are of unequal size. by Mickyflick, some rights reserved.

Swindon, Gloucestershire

Swindon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Alternative names: Swindon Village

Parish church: St. Lawrence

Parish registers begin: 1606

Parishes adjacent to Swindon

  • Elmstone Hardwicke
  • Prestbury
  • Cheltenham
  • Cheltenham St Peter
  • Bishop’s Cleeve

Marriages at Swindon 1638 to 1837

Marriages at Swindon 1638 to 1837 - Archive.org

Historical Descriptions

Swindon Village Church Swindon Village church is dedicated to St Lawrence and is unusual with its hexagonal Norman tower, which survived a rebuild in 1844-6. The copyright on this image is owned by Philip Halling and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Swindon, a parish in Cheltenham district, Gloucester; 2 miles NNW of Cheltenham r. station. It has a postal letter-box under Cheltenham. Acres, 721. Real property, £2,499. Pop., 227. houses, 43. The manor belongs to H. S. Stratford, Esq. S. Hall is the seat of J. S. Surman, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £479. Patron, J. S. Surman, Esq. The church is Norman and early English, and was recently restored. There is a national school of 1863. Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Swindon (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union and hundred of Cheltenham, E division of the county of Gloucester, 1 ½ mile (NNW) from Cheltenham; containing 204 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Cheltenham to Tewkesbury and Worcester, and comprises 722a. 20p., about 100 acres of which are arable, and the remainder pasture and orchard; the soil is partly clay, and partly sand. The Gloucester and Birmingham railway passes though the parish. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £13. 1. 0½., and in the gift of the Rev. W. Raymond: the tithes have been commuted for £265; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe contains 32 ¼ acres. The church is in the Norman style, with some portions of early English, and has an hexagonal tower, a gallery has been lately built.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Marriages

Marriages at Swindon 1830 to 1837
Marriages at Swindon 1813 to 1829
Swindon Marriages 1775 to 1812
Swindon Marriages 1754 to 1774
Swindon Marriages 1725 to 1753

Directories

Swindon (near Cheltenham) Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Cheltenham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
  • Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
  • Poor Law Union: Cheltenham
  • Hundred: Cheltenham
  • Province: Canterbury