Sudeley is a township and parish, 1 mile south-east of Winchcomb, in the lower division of the Hundred of Kiftsgate, Winchcomb Union, East Gloucestershire, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, situated on the river Isborne. The church of St. Mary, a Gothic structure of stone, now a fine ruin, is about to be restored. The living is a rectory, worth £45 yearly, in the gift of John Dent, Esq., and incumbency of Rev. John Ridout Harvey, M.A. Sudeley Castle, the property and residence of J. Dent, Esq., is partly a magnificent ruin (see Winchcomb). The population, in 1851, was 77, and the acreage is 2,009; soil, stone brash; subsoil, stiff clay. J. Dent, Esq., is lord of the manor, and chief landowner.
Wadfield is a farm.
Dent John, esq. Sudeley Castle
Champion James, farmer, Manor house
Pope Edward, farmer
State John & Wm. farmers, Sudeley lodge
Summers Chas. farmer, Wadfield farm
Letters received through Winchcomb, which is also the nearest money order office.
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages, William Fluck, Winchcomb
Relieving Officer, George Hemming Jackson, Winchcomb
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.