Stow-on-the-Wold is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Manersbury, Maugersbury, Mangersbury, and Donnington.
Parish church: St. Edward
Parish registers begin: 1558
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Particular Baptist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
STOW-ON-THE-WOLD, a small town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Gloucester. The town stands on the Fosse way, on the summit of a hill, 1 mile N of the Bourton-on-the-Water railway, and 4¼ SSW of Moreton-in-the-Marsh; is irregularly built; commands extensive views; is a seat of petty sessions and county-courts, and a polling place; and has a post-office under Moreton-in-the-Marsh, a r. station with telegraph, a banking office, a hotel, a police-office, a public reading room, an ancient church, three dissenting chapels, a grammar-school and alms houses with £39 a year from endowment, other charities £137, a workhouse, a weekly market on Thursday, and fairs on 12 May and 24 Oct. The parish includes the hamlets of Donnington and Mangersbury, and comprises 3,130 acres. Real property, £8,612. Pop. in 1851, 2,250; in 1861, 2,077. Houses, . 463. The manor belonged formerly to Evesham abbey; and, with Mangersbury House, belongs now to J. Chamberlayne, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £525. Patron, the Rev. R. W. Hippisley.—The sub-district contains 11 parishes. Acres, 18,094. Pop., 5,063.—The district includes Bourton-on-the-Water sub-district, and comprises 41,131 acres. Poor rates in 1863, £5,286. Pop. in 1851, 9,932; in 1861, 9,687. Houses, 2,181. Marriages in 1863,59; births, 316, of which 21 were illegitimate; deaths, 230, of which 88 were at ages under 5 years, and 6 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 643; births, 2,892; deaths, 1,813. The places of worship, in 1851, were 23 of the Church of England, with 5,256 sittings; 2 of Independents, with 195 s.; 8 of Baptists, with 1,395 s.; 1 of Quakers, the s. not reported; and 7 of Wesleyans, with 572 s. The schools were 19 public day-schools, with 973 scholars; 13 private day-schools, with 212 s.; and 27 Sunday-schools, with 1,193 s.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Stow-on-the-Wold, 83 miles S.W. London. Mrkt. Thurs. P. 2140
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Stow-On-The-Wold, or Stow St. Edward, co. Gloucester.
London 86 m. WNW. Pop. 1731. M. D. Thurs. Fairs, March 29 and May 12, for horses, cows, sheep, and cheese; July 24, for ditto; Oct. 24, for hops, ironmonger’s wares, &c.
A small market-town and parish in the upper division of the hundred of Slaughter, situated on the summit of a high hill, in a very bleak part of the country. The streets are irregularly built and indifferently paved. The manufacture of shoes formerly constituted the principal employment of the inhabitants, but it has declined, and there is now a small branch of the clothing trade carried on. The town, which was formerly a corporation, is governed by two bailiffs, and the petty sessions and court-leet for Stow or Kiftsgate district are holden here. The living is a rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; valued in K. B. 18l.; patron (1829) the Rev. H. Hippesley. The church, which is ded. to St. Edward, appears to have been built at different periods, and consists of a nave, chancel, and aisles, with an embattled tower on the south side eighty-one feet high, the interior contains several ancient monuments. Here are almshouses for nine poor persons, a free-school, and an hospital. The foss-way passes this town. During the civil war a battle took place here between the Royalist and Parliamentary forces, which ended in the defeat of the former.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. III; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Donnington, a hamlet in the parish of Stow-on-the-Wold, county of Gloucester; 1½ mile north of Stow-on-the-Wold. At this place the royalists were defeated by Colonel Morgan in 1645. Acres 760. Houses 47. A. P. £1,501. Pop., in 1801, 162; in 1831, 200. Poor rates, in 1837, £66.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Mangersbury, or Maugersbury, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Stow-on-the-Wold (86) 1 m. SSE. Pop. 226.
A hamlet in the parish of Stow-on-the-Wold and upper division of the hundred of Slaughter.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
|Surname||Forename||Parish Married in||Date|
|Hambidge||John||Westcote||10 Feb. 1807|
Is an ill built town, of very little trade, situate in the high Cotswold country. The Roman foss-way passes through this town to Northleach, as does the present turnpike-road from Coventry and Warwick to Bristol and the west of England. It is distant from Gloucester twenty-six miles, Campden ten, Burford nine, Northleach nine, and from London seventy-seven. This place is generally called, in old records, Stow St. Edward, and had a grant from Henry VI for a corporation. Its church is large, has a tower, and stands on a hill. Here are an hospital, alms-house, and free-school, all well endowed, besides other charities, the poor here being very numerous. This place stands so high, and is so exposed to the winds, that it is a common observation, that they have but one element, viz. air, there being neither wood, common, field, nor water, belonging to the town. The parish, which is governed by two bailiffs, is twelve miles in compass, and has some good inns, viz. the Unicorn, White Hart, and King’s Arms.
The market is on Thursday; and the fairs, which are May 12 and October 24, have been famous for hops, cheese, and sheep, of which it is said twenty thousand have been sold in one of its October fairs; but the inhabitants are not suffered to set stalls before their own doors. The tolls of the market and fairs are computed at eighty pounds a year.
A cross-post, under the Burford office, in and out daily. – Byrch’s Cheltenham and London wagon passes through weekly. – The following are the principal inhabitants:
Bricknell William, Gent. (F.)
Chamberlayne Edm. John, Esq. (F.)
Kendall John, Gent. (F.)
Napper William, Esq. Slaughter
Pittman Philip, Gent. (F.)
Rice – , Esq. Bourton-on-the-Water
Scott John, Esq. Longborough
Browne Rev. Mr. Swell
Chandler Rev. Mr.
Hippesley Rev. John, (F.) Rector
Leigh Rev. Mr. Addlestrip
Pagett Rev. Simon, (F.)
Travell Rev. Mr. Slaughter
Vernon Rev. Mr. Bourton-on-the-Water
Hayward John, (F.) Surgeon and Apothecary
Moss Richard, Ditto
Knight Joseph, (F.) Attorney
Alcock Joseph, Mercer
Archer Christopher, Plasterer
Archer Richard, Clockmaker
Betteridge John, Shopkeeper
Betteridge Robert, Wheelwright
Bird George, Brazier
Blizzard Richard, Peruke-maker
Charles William, (F.) Mercer
Charles Richard, Grocer
Clifford John, (F.) Unicorn Inn
Clifford William, Baker
Clifford Richard, Mason
Collett William, (F.) Sadler
Collett Henry, Currier
Cornhill Charles, Baker
Dibble Thomas, (F.) Maltster
Ellis Daniel, Butcher
Farmer Richard, (F.) Mercer
Farmer Richard, Breeches-maker
Forty Joseph, Collar-maker
Fox John, Smith
Gardiner John, Joiner
Gladwin Robert, Smith
Hookham Thomas, (F.) Plasterer
Hookham Charles, Plasterer
Horseman James, Flax-dresser
Jeffereys James, Sieve-maker
Johnson John, Baker
Jones Grace, Shopkeeper
Maesey William, (F.) Victualler
Mason William, Baker
Matthews John, shopkeeper
Meadows Margaret, Shopkeeper
Minchin John, (F.) Distiller
Paine Alexander, (F.) Shopkeeper
Paine George, Schoolmaster
Paine Thomas, Shopkeeper
Paine William, Cooper
Palmer William, King’s Arms Inn
Pittman Richard, (F.) White Hart Inn
Pittman Joseph, Glazier
Pruce Mary, Maltster
Reeves Thomas, Baker
Robbins William, Victualler
Smith Robert, Glazier
Stratford James, Shoemaker
Webb Edward, Land-surveyor
Williams Charles, Shopkeeper
Source: Universal British Directory 1791