Sandhurst is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1538
Sandhurst, a parish in the hund. of Dudstone and King’s Barton, union and county of Gloucester; 3 miles north of Gloucester, and east of the Severn. Living, a discharged vicarage, formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; certified at £34, returned at £129 16s. 5d.; gross income £211. Tithes commuted in 1839. Patron, the bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. Charities, in 1826, about £60 per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £199 1s. Acres 2,010. Houses 87. A.P. £3,739. Pop., in 1801, 365; in 1831. 434.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Sandhurst is a township, parish, and straggling village, 3 miles north-east from Gloucester railway station, bounded on the west by the navigable river Severn, in the hundred of Dudstone and King’s Barton, Gloucester union, archdeaconry, rural deanery, and county court district, East Gloucestershire, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church of St. Lawrence (which in 1858 was restored and enlarged at a considerable outlay) is built in the Norman style, and consists of a nave, north aisle, chancel, porch, and a tower at the west end containing 6 bells. The living is a vicarage, valued at £310 yearly, with a good residence, in the patronage of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol; the Rev. Edmund Percy Brett, B.A., is the incumbent. The population in 1861 was 549; the area is 2,227 acres; rateable value, £4,288. The soil is in some parts sandy, in others a deep clay (but on the banks of the Severn a red fertile loam is apparent), and is applied to pasture, arable, and meadow. Wallsworth Hall, the seat of Captain de Winton, is a handsomely built house, commanding a beautiful prospect over Twigworth, Hatherley, and the Cotswold hills, and is surrounded by a large estate. The lords of the manor are the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester, and Captain de Winton, of Wallsworth Hall, who are also the chief landowners. Brickmaking is carried on here. There are charities of £25 yearly value connected with this parish. Many salmon are caught here in the season.
Brewern, Abloads Court, and Bengrove are farms.
Parish Clerk, George Daniell.
Brett Rev. Edmund Percy, B.A. Vicarage
Darley William, esq. The Grove
De Winton Capt. Wallsworth hall
Johnstone George, esq
Mansel Mrs. Rectory cottage
Washbourn Edward, esq. Abbotts lodge
Arkell Henry, butcher
Butler William & Co. naphtha distillery, Upper Parting works
Butt Henry, farmer, Abloads court
Butt Richard, farmer
Cresswell Thomas, farmer
Daniell George, farmer
Daniell John, carpenter & wheelwright
Daniell Joseph, carpenter & wheelwrght
Drinkwater Henry, farmer
Gardener Charles, farmer, Willington ct
Griffiths John, farmer
Gwynne Thomas, farmer, Musselend farm
Hobbs Henry, blacksmith
Johnstone George, farmer & surgeon
Kent William, farmer
Long John, farmer, Cofferies farm
Newman Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Newman Emanuel, White Horse inn, & farmer
Newman Henry, farmer
Organ Charles, farmer, Brewern farm
Organ Charles, shoemaker
Sessions Jesse, brickmaker
Voice Thomas, farmer, Hill farm
Post Office Letter Box.— Letters arrive from Gloucester at 8 a.m.; dispatched thereto at 6.15 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Gloucester
National School (boys & girls), Miss Marian Stokes, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.