Cold Salperton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin: 1629
Salperton (All Saints). A parish, in the union of Northleach, hundred of Bradley, E division of the county of Gloucester, 5 miles (NW by N) from Northleach; containing 206 inhabitants. The parish comprises nearly 1400 acres, of which the surface is undulated, and the soil generally stony, and of little depth; it is situated a little to the north of the road from Northleach to Cheltenham, and to the south of that from Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucestershire to the same town. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of John Browne, Esq., with a net income of £95: the tithes were commuted for land in 1780.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Salperton is a village and parish in Northleach union, containing, by the census of 1861, 189, and in 1871, 141 inhabitants, and 1306 acres; 5 miles north-west from Northleach, 9 south-west from Stow-on-the-Wold, 9 south-east from Cheltenham, and 86 by road and 130 by railway from London; in the deanery of Stow, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, Bradley hundred, East Gloucestershire. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. William Peachy Mellersh, M.A., is valued at £133 per annum, and in the patronage of Thomas Beale Brown, Esq., J.P., who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The church is a small edifice, dedicated to All Saints, in the Norman style, and consists of nave, chancel, and tower. The rateable value of this parish is £1547.
Brown Thomas Beale, Esq., J.P., Salperton Park
Burton Miss, schoolmistress
Butler James, blacksmith
Greening Jonathan, baker and maltster
Smith Charles, farmer
Letters from Cheltenham via Andoversford which is also the nearest money order and telegraph office.
Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.
Salperton is a township, parish, and small village, 9 miles east from Cheltenham station, 9 west-south-west from Stow-on-the-Wold, and 5 north-west from Northleach, in Bradley Hundred, Northleach Union and electoral division, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. It is situated on the Cotswold hills. The church of All Saints is a small stone building in the early Norman style; has tower, nave, and chancel. The living is a perpetual curacy, worth £80 yearly, in the gift of Thomas Beale Browne, Esq.; the Rev. William Peachey Mellersh, M.A., is the incumbent. There is a day school, supported by T. B. Browne, Esq. Salperton Park is the seat of T. B. Browne, Esq. The population, in 1851, was 145, and the acreage is 1,340; rateable value, £1,278. The soil is loamy; the subsoil is the same. Thomas Beale Browne, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner.
Browne Thomas Beale, esq. Salperton park
Cook Mr. Richard
Browne Thomas Beale, brick & tile pottery yard
Robins Edward, wheelwright
Silvey John, baker & maltster
Walker John, farmer
Yells Charles, farmer, Home farm
Letters received through Andoversford office. The nearest money order office is at Northleach.
Day School, Elizabeth Robins, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.