Ruardean is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1842 from chapelry in Walford Ancient Parish in Herefordshire.
Parish church: St. John
Parish registers begin: 1538
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Bible Christian Methodist, Independent/Congregational, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Ruardine, or Ruardean, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Newnham (120) 6 m. NW. Pop. 729.
A parish in the hundred of St. Briavells, bounded on the east by the Wye; living, a curacy, subordinate to the vicarage of Walford in the archdeaconry of Hereford and diocese of Gloucester, not in charge; ann. val. P. R. 49l.; church ded. to St. John the Baptist; patronage with Walford vicarage. Here is a small endowed school.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. III; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Ruardean is a village and parish, 6 miles from Ross, 9 from Monmouth, 6 from Coleford, and 4½ from Mitcheldean road station on the South Wales railway, in the hundred of St. Briavels, rural deanery of the Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester, county court district and union of Ross, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church of St. John is a stone building, having a spire, one aisle, chancel, nave, gallery, and 6 bells. Earliest date of register, 1540. The living is a perpetual curacy, gross rental £100 per annum, in the gift of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners; the Rev. William Penfold, M.A., of Lincoln College, Oxford, is the incumbent. The population in 1861 was 1,054; the acreage of the parish is 1,590; the rateable value, £3,300. Colonel John Vaughan is lord of the manor.
Jackson Frederic John, esq. Ruardean villa
Penfold Rev. William, M.A
Bennett Richard, carpenter
Brain John, shoemaker
Bratten Charles, shopkeeper
Cannock John, saddler
Constance Thomas, druggist
Cox James, blacksmith
Evans Jane (Miss), Bell
Evans John, Malt Shovel
Evans John, New inn
Harper James, farmer
Horlick James, saddler
Ireland John, shoemaker
Jackson Frederic John, coal proprietor, Eastslade colliery
Jones Edmund, shopkeeper
Jordan Jane (Mrs.), beer retailer
Lewis James, farmer
Lewis William, grocer
Pewtner William, shoemaker
Philpots Richard, farmer
Philpots William, farmer
Robins George, farmer
Ruardean Collieries (Henry Bowring, proprietor; Richard Ready, manager)
Smith George Hawker, Angel, & cattle dealer
Terrett Joseph, butcher
Terrett Thomas, farmer
Thompson Thomas, farmer
Vaughan John, farmer
Wadley Charles, farmer
Watkins George, farmer
Williams John, shopkeeper
Yemm Edmund, nailmaker
Post Office. — John Charles Lewis, receiver. Letters arc delivered at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 4.14 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Micheldean
National School, Miss Mary Webb, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.