Rockhampton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. Oswald
Parish registers begin: 1565
Rockhampton, 1 m. N. Thornbury. P. 208
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Rockhampton is a parish and village, 6 miles from Berkeley-road station on the Birmingham ami Bristol railway, 3 from Thornbury, and 4 from Berkeley, in West Gloucestershire, Langley and Swinehead hundred, Thornbury union and county court district, rural deanery of Dursley. Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. The church of St. Oswald, a stone building, has tower, aisle, porch, chancel, 1 bell, 2 tablets, and font. The nave was rebuilt in 1802 by voluntary contributions, at a cost of £700. The living is a rectory, value £289 2s. yearly, with residence and 15 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Mrs. Coates, of Clifton; the Rev. William Unett Coates, M.A., of Pembroke College, Cambridge, is rector. There is a school for boys and girls. The population in 1861 was 248; the area is 1,100 acres. The soil is marl, sand, and clay. Major Peach is lord of the manor. There are charities of £13 15s. yearly value.
Brooks Frederick, esq. Rockhampton ldg
Cloates Rev. Wm. Unett, M.A. [rector]
Jones William, esq
Adams Ruth (Mrs.), farmer, Newton
Adams Thomas, farmer
Childs William, farmer
Collins John, farmer, Newton
Cooper Thomas, farmer, Newton
Cullimore James, farmer
Ford Matthew, farmer, Court farm
Jenkins William, farmer
Limbrick John, mason
Long Daniel, farmer, Newton
Pinnell Wm. farmer, Brickhouse farm
Ponting Charles, farmer, Newton
Ricketts Elias, grocer
Ricketts William, farmer
Riddiford Daniel, farmer
Smith Elizabeth, shopkeeper
Workman Leonard, farmer
Letters through Thornbury, which is also the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.