Pebworth, Gloucestershire

Pebworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Broad Marston.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1594

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Pebworth

  • Welford
  • North and Middle Littleton
  • Marston Sicca
  • Quinton
  • Mickleton
  • Church Honeybourne
  • Dorsington
  • Cleeve Priors
  • Weston-sub-Edge

Historical Descriptions

Broad Marston

The History of the County of Gloucestershire 1803

Broad Marston, about a mile E. from the church Sir Alan Bushel was lord of this manor in 1245, and was buried in Pebworth church. In his family it continued for eleven generations, in a direct line from father to son, till it passed to the Earl of Salisbury, whose descendant, James Cecil, Marquis of Salisbury, was lord of the manor, until it was sold, about 1794, to Mr. Horseman. It has since been resold.

Source: The History of the County of Gloucestershire; Thomas Rudge; 1803

Poll Books

Pebworth Poll Book 1834 - Google Books

Directories

Pebworth Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Marriages Out of Parish

Below is a list of people who were from Pebworth but who were married in another parish.

Anthony Sadler, of Pebworth, & Sarah Bushell, of the North town 27 May 1662 at North & Middle Littleton, Worcestershire.

John Woolverston & Mary Ryland, of Pebbworth 17 Nov. 1662 at South Littleton, Worcestershire.

Thos. Hale, of Pebworth, & Eliz. Moore, of S. L. 7 Oct. 1764 at South Littleton, Worcestershire.

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Evesham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
  • Rural Deanery: Campden
  • Poor Law Union: Evesham
  • Hundred: Kiftsgate
  • Province: Canterbury