Pauntley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. John the Evangelist
Parish registers begin: 1538
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Pauntley, 2 m. N.E. Newent. P. 249
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
PAUNTLEY, a parish in the hundred of Botloe, county of Gloucester, 2¾ miles (N. E. by N.) from Newent, containing 280 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Hereford, and diocese of Gloucester, endowed with £ 600 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Gloucester. The church, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, has an enriched Norman door. The river Leddon runs through the parish. Here are springs, the water of which is similar in quality to the Cheltenham waters.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831