Owlpen is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created from chapelry in Newington Bagpath Ancient Parish.
Alternative Names: Old pen
Parish Church: Holy Cross
Parish registers begin: 1677
Owlpen, or Old pen, a parish in Dursley district, Gloucester; under the Cotswolds, 2¾ miles E of Dursley r. station. Post-town, Dursley. Acres, 720. Real property, £1,034. Pop., 91. Houses, 24. The property belonged anciently to the Earls of Berkeley; was given, by one of them, to the Owlpens; passed by marriage, first to the Daunts, next to the Stoughtons; and belongs now to T. A. Stoughton, Esq. O. Park is Mr. S.’s seat. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Newington-Bagpath, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, The church was rebuilt in 1828; and is in the early English style, with a tower. Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Owlpen, a parish, in the union of Dursley, Upper division of the hundred of Berkeley, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 3¾ miles (E.) from Dursley; containing 94 inhabitants. The living is annexed to the rectory of Newington-Bagpath: the tithes have been commuted for £149. 16., and the glebe comprises two acres. The church was erected in 1830, principally at the cost of the Rev. Alan Gardner Cornwall; in the interior are some memorials of the very ancient family of Danet, who formerly resided here, and were of considerable eminence. Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848