Old Sodbury

Old Sodbury, Gloucestershire Family History

Old Sodbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1684

Nonconformists include: Baptist and Society of Friends/Quaker.

Parishes adjacent to Old Sodbury

  • Little Sodbury
  • Great Badminton
  • Chipping Sodbury
  • Tormarton
  • Yate
  • Dodington
  • Horton

Historical Descriptions

Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Sodbury (Old), a parish, with a village, in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester; 3¾ miles E by S of Yate r. station. It has a post-office under Chipping-Sodbury, and a hotel. Acres, 3,637. Real property, £7,294. Pop., 809. Houses, 180. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Lye Grove House, belongs to W. H. H. Hartley, Esq. There is a Roman camp. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £460. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1858. There are a Baptist chapel and a national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].

Old Sodbury Marriages

Old Sodbury Marriages 1804 to 1812
Old Sodbury Marriages 1795 to 1803

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Chipping Sodbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
  • Rural Deanery: Hawkesbury
  • Poor Law Union: Chipping Sodbury
  • Hundred: Grumbald’s Ash
  • Province: Canterbury