Nympsfield

Photo of Nympsfield (Glos) St Bartholomew's Church. by ChurchCrawler, some rights reserved.

Nympsfield Gloucestershire Family History

Nympsfield is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Alternative names: Nymphsfield

Parish church: St Bartholomew

Parish registers begin: 1678

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and Roman Catholic.

Parishes adjacent to Nympsfield

  • King’s Stanley
  • Leonard Stanley
  • Owlpen
  • Horsley
  • Woodchester
  • Nailsworth
  • Uley
  • Coaley
  • Frocester

Marriages at Nympsfield 1679 to 1812

Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol I. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.

Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews

Marriages at Nympsfield 1679 to 1812 - Archive.org

Marriages at Nympsfield 1679 to 1812 - UK Genealogy Archives

Marriages at Nimpsfield (Bishops Transcripts) - UK Genealogy Archives

Transcriptions

Nimpsfield Marriages 1754 to 1810
Nimpsfield Marriages 1745 to 1753
Nimpsfield Marriages Bishops Transcripts

Historical Description

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Nymphsfield, a village and a parish in Dursley district, Gloucester. The village stands among the Cotswolds, 2½ miles S S E of Frocester r. station, and 3¼ N E of Dursley; and has a post-office under Stonehouse. The parish comprises 1,472 acres. Real property, £2,185. Pop., 373. Houses, 92. The property is divided among a few. The manor and most of the land belong to W. Leigh, Esq. An ancient British burial-place is on an eminence, overlooking the valley of the Severn; and was explored in 1861, by the Cotswold Naturalist club. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £260. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1863; is in the early English style; comprises nave, N aisle, and chancel, with porch and vestry; and retains the old tower, which is fine later English. There are chapels for Baptists and Roman Catholics, a national school, and a Roman Catholic school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Dursley
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
  • Poor Law Union: Dursley
  • Hundred: Berkeley (Gloucestershire)
  • Province: Canterbury