Moreton Valence is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. Stephen
Parish registers begin: 1681
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Morton Valence, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Stroud (121) 8 m. NW. Pop. 348.
A parish in the hundred of Whitstone, bordering on the Gloucester and Berkeley Canal. The living is a perpetual curacy in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester. The church, dedicated to St. Stephen, is a very ancient structure, having on the north side a Norman doorway, with a semicircular arch, within the curve of which is a rude figure representing St. Michael fighting with Satan under the form of a dragon, sculptured in low relief. Here are iron works.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Moreton Valence, is a township, village and parish, in the upper division of Whitstone Hundred, Wheatenhurst Union, on the river Severn, with 307 inhabitants and 1,399 acres.
Standish House, Moor Farm, Horse Barracks, Moreton Hill, & Pidgemoor, are places here.
Barron John, esq
Potter Richard, esq. J.P. Standish ho
Willey Daniel W. P. esq. Moor Farm
Bellamy Joseph, farmer, Horse Marley
Birt Anne (Mrs.), farmer, Epney
Browning Joseph, farmer, Grove cottage
Buckingham Danl. Farmer, Yew tree frm
Chamberlain John, farmer
Close Richard, farmer, Epney
Cook James, Anchor inn, Epney
Daniels John, farmer, Barracks
Fowler John, farmer, Moreton hill
Fryer Daniel, farmer, Epney
Hawkins Wm. farmer & relieving officer
Hooper Mary (Mrs), farmer, Pidgemore
Jones Benjamin, beer retailer, Epney
Jones Joseph, shopkeeper
Pritchard Richard, shopkeeper Epney
White George, farmer, Court house
Letters through Stonehouse. The nearest money order office is at Frampton.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.