Lydney is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire. St Briavels, Hewelsfield, and Aylburton are chapelries of Lydney.
Alternative names: Lidney, Lydney with Aylburton
Other places in the parish include: Alaxton, Allaston, Purton, Newarne, Newerne, and Nass.
Parish registers begin: 1678
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.
Lidney, or Lydney, co. Gloucester.
London 127 m. W b N. Pop. 1393. M. D. Wed. Fairs, May 4 and Nov. 8, for horned cattle.
A parish and formerly a market-town, in the hundred of Blideslow, within the district called the Forest of Dean; living, a vicarage in the archdeaconry of Hereford and diocese of Gloucester; valued in K. B. 24l. 6s. 8d., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The church, ded. to St. Mary, is a large edifice, with a spire at the west end, and a small chancel on the north side of the principal one. This place appears to have been the Roman Statio Trajectus, on the western bank of the Severn, mentioned by Richard of Cirencester; for here are traces of a large intrenchment, with the foundations of ancient buildings, among which are the ruins of a supposed Roman bath or hypocaust; and many coins have been discovered of the emperors Galba, Hadrian, and Antoninus. In the middle ages Lidney was a place of some importance; but the market formerly held here has long since been discontinued, and the town had sunk into insignificance, from which there is a prospect of its recovering in consequence of the recent construction of the Severn and Wye Railway and Canal; the former, which was originally called the Lidney and Lidbrook Railway, terminating at Lidney, and the canal, extending from that place to the Severn, with which it communicates by locks and a basin, furnishing ample facility for the conveyance of timber, coal, stone, and iron ore, the products of the Forest of Dean, and, giving rise to a considerable commerce in those and other articles. Lidney Park, the seat of the Rt. Hon. Charles Bragge Bathurst, was the site of a mansion called Whitecross, erected by Sir William Wyntour, or Winter, vice-admiral of England, in the reign of Elizabeth, and one of the officers who shared in the defeat of the Spanish armada. His descendant, Sir John Winter, in the civil war under Charles I., fortified his house as a garrison for the king’s service, and after having gallantly defended it against hostile attacks, and kept the neighbouring posts of the Parliamentarians in constant alarm, by his incursions and assaults, at length, on the decline of the royal cause, he removed every thing valuable from his little fortress, and burnt it to the ground.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Nass, a tything in Lidney parish, Gloucester; 4 ¼ miles NW of Berkeley.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lidney is a mean inconsiderable town, on the border of Monmouthshire; although described in our topographical surveys as a market-town, it has long lost all appearance of a market. The market was formerly on a Wednesday. Here are two annual fairs, May 4 and November 8. The road from Gloucester to Chepstow passes through here.
Lidney is distant from Gloucester twenty miles, Monmouth twelve, Chepstow eight, Newnham eight, Dean ten, and from London seventy-one miles. It is seated on the west bank of the river Severn. Here are the remains of a large Roman encampment with foundations of many ancient buildings, among which are the ruin of a Roman hypocaust or bath of an oval form; a great number of Roman antiquities and coins are found here. Contiguous to this place are the iron-forge, furnace, and collieries, of Messrs. Pidcock, of Stourbridge. There is no coach or regular conveyance to or from Lidney. The only good inn is the Feathers. – The following are the principal inhabitants:
Bathurst Thomas, Esq. (F.) Lidney Park
Clewer Joseph, Gent. (F.)
Cowles Charles, Gent. (F.)
Curtis – , Gent.
Paed John, Gent. (F.)
Tanner David, Esq. (F.)
Wade Thomas, Gent. (F.)
Birt Rev. Canon, (F.) Vicar
Jones Rev. – , Curate
Asher James, Surgeon
Boughton William, Butcher
Browning Thomas, (F.) Shopkeeper
Davis John, Soap-boiler
Harrison Thomas, (F.) Purveyor of the Forest of Dean
Hewlett Thomas, Wheelwright
Holder Thomas, Innkeeper, (Feathers)
Hook Richard, Maltster
Howell John, Grazier
Huntley William, (F.) Carpenter
Inman Ja. Innkeeper, Purton-passage
Jacobs Jacob, Mason
Pritchard – , Organist
Williams William, (F.) Wheelwright
Winter John, Innkeeper, Newarn
Contiguous to Lidney is the fine seat of Thomas Bathurst, Esq. called Lidney Park. – James Selwyn, Esq. has a seat at Woodside. John Byrkin Thomas, Esq. at Oatfield. – John Wade, Esq. at Awre. – At Tidenham is the seat of — Williams, Esq. – Blakeney is the seat of —- Barber, Esq. – And, Strote is the seat of the Rev. Stephen Sayce.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791