Lemington is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Lemington, Lemington Parva.
Parish church: St Leonard
Parish registers begin: 1685
Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900. Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews
Note. – The oldest Register (1701 to 1753) is a parchment volume without a cover but in good condition. The second volume (1757 to 1812) is of paper, in a rough binding of the same material. The Marriages have been extracted by the Rev. J. Harvey Bloom, Rector of whitchurch, and are printed under his supervision by permission of the late Priest-in-charge, the Rev. Ferd. Ruegg.
Richard Simmonds & Mary Roach, 25 July 1757
John Millar, of Paxford, & Sarah Lawrence, 11 June 1759
Thomas Roane & Margate Hale, 5 Apr. 1760
Thomas Riching, of Treddington, & Sarah Cook, 12 May 1760
Richard Sharp, of Todenham, & Sarah Days, 2 Mar. 1764
Thomas Rose, & Elizabeth Whiteing, 22 Oct. 1764
John Davis, of Ascott-under-Whichwood, & Hannah Smith, 3 Dec. 1764
Thomas Rooch & Hane Wyatt, of Todenham, 14 May 1765
William Harris & Mary Smith, 13 Oct. 1766
Thomas Sharp & Ann Bradley, of Draycot, 13 Dec. 1766
Thomas Roach & Hester Hyatt, lic., 12 July 1768
William Harris & Ann Halford, lic., 27 Feb. 1770
Thomas Rose, of Broadwell, & Ann Clark, 15 Dec. 1770
William Fletcher, of Wolford, & Hannah Halford, 1 Jan. 1772
Thomas Allcock & Sarah Randal, 10 Oct. 1772
Richard Hands, of Loughborough, & Mary Holford, 23 Jan. 1773
James Wheeler, of Long Compton, & Martha Halford, lic., 1 Aug. 1774
Thomas Bashett & Eleanor Hughs, 5 Dec. 1774
Edward Harris & Hannah Walton, 24 Sept. 1775
Thomas Box & Mary Roberts, 14 Oct. 1776
Henry Smith, w., & Elizabeth Halford, lic., 6 Oct. 1779
John Watson & Hannah Davis, 3 June 1782
John Printer, [? Pointer], of Compton Abdale, & Mary Gillett, 2 Aug. 1782
Thomas Taylor & Mary Frankling, 26 Oct. 1783
John Stephens, of Pershore, St. Andrew, & Hester Halford, 29 Mar. 1783
William Bennett, of Todenham, & Sarah Hartwell, 13 Dec. 1783
William Driver & Martha Sharpe, 15 June 1791
Charles Hadland, gent., & Hester Haris, of Oldborough, in this p., lic., 30 May 1797
John Dix, gent., of Sibford in Swalcliffe, co. Oxon., & Martha Harris, lic., 14 Nov. 1797
John Bennett, of Chastleton, & Mary Harris, lic., 9 Jan. 1800
William Tims & Mary Watson, 14 Sept. 1800
John Pricket & Sarah Sharp, 17 Nov. 1800
Thomas Kerry, of Chadlington, & Ann Summers, 9 Dec. 1802
Richard Lidsey & Hannah Brown, 27 Dec. 1806
William Laite & Elizabeth Summer, 5 Nov. 1810
John Hutchings & Hannah Rose, 5 June 1812
Joseph Barsley & Elizabeth Roper, of Hook Norton, 13 Dec. 1812
Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 36, Essex Street, Strand, London. 1898.
Johanes Carter & Sara Ward, 4 Aug. 1701
Richard Mathewes, de Whichford, & Ema Badsey, de Ditchford, 11 Oct. 1702
William Freeman, w., of Little Compton, & Mary Hains, of Lower Swell, 2 Nov. 1703
Antony Brain & Frances Minerd, 20 May 1704
William Savage & Jane Colchester, 3 Dec. 1706
Nicholas Fletcher & Mary Holder, of Woodstock, 23 Aug. 1707
Robert Harbidge & Elizabeth Freeman, of Todenham, 25 Apr. 1709
Edward Hart, of Shipston, & Elizabeth Taylor, of Morton, - Jan. 1709
John Claridge & Jane Holtam, 2 Feb. 1709
Thomas reeve & Mary Bosarel, of Broadwell, 1 Nov. 1715
William Hobb & Mary Tomlins, of Toddenham, 9 Feb. 1715
John Liseley & Mary Freeman, 1 Nov. 1716
William Liseley & Mary Roch, both of Sutton, 15 Sept. 1717
Robert Smith, de Competon [Compton] & Jane Lilley, of Saintbury, 7 Oct. 1717
Mr. William Williams, clerk, & Mrs. Frances Larner, of Morton, lic., 6 Apr. 1719
William Berry & Mary Smith, of Stretton, 17 Oct. 1719
Peter Herbert & Hester Albert, lic., 1 Mar. 1719
John Wyatt, of Todenham, & Ann Miles, of Ditchford, 6 June 1722
Mr. Joseph Riland, of Ditchford, & Mrs. Freelove Collett, of Lower Slaughter, 5 Dec. 1722
Robert Plaster & Margarett Harris, of Stretton 8 Oct. 1723
John Roach & Ann Pool, 18 Oct. 1726
Thomas Tawney & Mary Fletcher, of Ebrington, lic., 25 Jan. 1727
The Rev. Mr. Edward Hughes & Mrs. Anne Johnson, both of Cherrington, lic., 4 Mar. 1727
Henry Pilkington, of Stretton, & Hannah Blizzard, of Stow, 29 Apr. 1730
Richard Richardson & Mary Weston, of Hitcoat, lic., 27 Dec. 1731
Samuel Archer, of Stretton, & Anne Lea, of Toddenham, 13 Jan. 1732
William Williams, of Fairford, & Anne Proctor, of Moreton-in-the-Marsh, 24 Aug. 1733
John Liseley & Margaret White, 29 Apr. 1734
John Claridge & Mary Robbins, 23 Dec. 1735
Mr. William Smart, of Winchcomb, & Mrs. Collis Hughs, lic., 25 Aug. 1737
John Longstone & Mary Robbins, 27 Oct. 1737
John Pitway & Mary Mills, 11 June 1739
Walter Perry, of Fell Mell & Margaret Wood, of Moreton, 30 Sept. 1741
Isaac Pool, of Moreton, & Judith Miles, of Todenham, lic., 26 Nov. 1741
Daniel Lambert, of Bourton-on-the-Hill, & Elizabeth Procter, of Moreton, lic., 23 Jan. 1741
Henry Hitchman & Ann Hitchman, 13 Aug. 1744
Charles Kitely & Katherine Miles, 6 Apr. 1746
Thomas Halford & Anne Remel, 22 May 1746
Edward Barnet & Jane Hobs, 10 June 1746
Samuel Ward & Mary Freeman, 1 Mar. 1746
John Walker & Ann Arnel, 29 Sept. 1748
Thomas Minchin & Rachel Davis, 25 July 1749
Thomas Beal & Mary Philips, 8 July 1751
Robert Brain & Ann Wyatt, 30 Apr. 1752
Joseph Barnet & Mary Collett, 27 Sept. 1753
Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol. IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 36, Essex Street, Strand, London. 1898.
Lemington (Lower), a parish in the district of Shipston-on-Stour, and county of Gloucester; contiguous to Warwickshire, 2 miles NE by N of Moreton-in-the-Marsh r. station, and 5 SW by S of Shipston-on Stour. Post town, Moreton-in-the-Marsh. Acres, 855. Real property, £995. Pop., 57. Houses, 14. The property belongs to Lord Redesdale. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £27. Patron, Lord Redesdale. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lemington (Lower), a parish in the upper division of the hund, of Tewksbury, union of Shipston-on-Stour, county of Gloucester; 12¼ miles south-south-east of Stratford-upon-Avon, and crossed by the Stratford and Moreton railway. Living, a perpetual curacy formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £10; gross income £46. Patron, in 1835, Lord Redesdale. Charities, in 1829, £16 6s. 2d. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £46. Acres 660. Houses 13. A. P. £1,708. Pop., in 1801, 61; in 1831, 56.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1848.
Lemington, Lower, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Moreton-in-the-Marsh (86) 2 m. N E b N. Pop. 67.
A parish in the upper division of the hundred of Tewkesbury; living, a curacy in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; certified value 10l.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of August 1834 between Christopher William Codrington, Esquire, and Charles Hanbury Tracy Leigh, Esquire. For more information see Poll Book 1834.
Poll Book of the Election, August 1834 for the Eastern Division of the County of Gloucester.
Campden Polling District
|Wheatley, Thomas||Leamington||Leamington Heath||Leamington Heath farm|
Lower Lemington is a village and parish in Shipston-on-Stour union, containing, by the census of 1861, 57, and in 1871, 63 inhabitants, with 786 acres of land; in the deanery of Campden, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Westminster, East Gloucestershire; 2 miles north-east from Morton station on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton Railway, 6 south from Shipston-on-Stour, 30 north-east from Gloucester, and 82 from London. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. James W. Clarke, is valued at £30 per annum, and is in the patronage of Lord Redesdale. The church is a small edifice, with one bell. Lord Redesdale is lord of the manor and chief owner of the land. The rateable value of this parish is £1060.
Garret Joseph, Lemington heath
Phipps Richard, farmer, Manor house
Wilks James, farmer, Oldborough
Letters through Moreton-in-the-Marsh, which is the nearest money order office.
Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.