Longney is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1660
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Independent/Congregational.
Longney, 4 miles S. W. Gloucester. P. 490
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Longney, a parish in the upper division of the hund, of Whitstone, union of Wheatenhurst, county of Gloucester; 6 miles south-south-west of Gloucester, on the banks of the Severn, and in the line of the Gloucester and Berkeley Ship canal. Living, a discharged vicarage, formerly in the arcbd, and dio. of Gloucester, now in the archd, of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £12 1s. 8d., returned at £80; gross income £100. Tithes, moduses, &c, commuted in 1812. Patron, the Lord-Chancellor. Charities, in 1826, £31 per annum, Poor rates, in 1838, £313 2s. Acres 1,070. Houses 97. A. P. £2,513. Pop., in 1801, 314; in 1831, 453.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1848.
Longney is a parish and village, situated on the river Severn, nearly 7 miles south-west from Gloucester railway station, in the upper division of Whitstone hundred, Wheatenhurst union and county court district, Gloucester rural deanery and archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. The church of St. Lawrence is an old stone building in the Early English style, and has a tower with 8 bells, nave, two chancels, and font of later date than the church itself. The living is a vicarage, value £100 yearly, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor; the Rev. J. Daniel is the incumbent, and the Rev. John Butterfield, M.A. is curate. There is an Independent meeting-house. The population in 1861 was 486; the acreage is about 1,070. The soil is clayey: the trustees of Smith’s Charity are lords of the manor and chief landowners. There are charities of about £30 yearly value.
Castle End, Bellamy’s, Waterend, The Court, Horsepools, Lynch, and Wicks are places here.
Parish Clerk, William Soule.
Butterfield Rev. John, M.A. [curate]
Powle Miss Ellen
Beaght Thomas Perry, farmer
Bick Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Boughton Joseph, butcher
Browning Daniel, boat owner
Browning John, farmer
Bullock Robert, farmer & beer retailer
Ellis Alfred, farmer
Ellis William, butter dealer &c
Gabb George, blacksmith
Gower William, shopkeeper
Hawkins Henry, farmer
Hawkins Leonard, farmer
Hyett John, carpenter & wheelwright
Jackson Charles, farmer
Jones Gilbert, farmer, Waterend farm
Land Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Longney Walter, farmer, The Court
Longney William, farmer, brickmaker & barge owner
Matthews Richard, bricklayer
Meadows Daniel, farmer & beer retailer
Meadows Edward, butcher
Merratt Daniel, farmer, Horsepools
Pegler Leonard, farmer
Pockett Daniel, farmer
Ravenhill Charles, farmer, brickmaker & barge owner, Lynch
Savage Joseph, farmer
Silvey John, brickmaker
Sims Josiah, beer retailer
Smith William, farmer
Soule William, shopkeeper
Soule William Michael, farmer & boot & shoe maker
Vimpany Amos, farmer
Ward Henry, farmer
Weyman Charles, farmer & beer retailer
Woodman Daniel, farmer
Letters received through Gloucester. A pillar box is placed near the church; letters are dispatched at 4.30 p.m. The nearest money order offices are at Frampton-on-Severn & Gloucester.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.