Longhope is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin: 1742
Nonconformists in Longhope: Baptist
Longhope, a parish in Westbury-on-Severn district, Gloucester; on the Gloucester and Hereford railway, near the boundary with Hereford, 6 miles N by W of Newnham. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Gloucester; and is cut into two divisions, lower and upper. Acres, 3,070. Real property of the i. div., £2,713; of the ii. div., £2,647. Pop., 1,104. Houses, 229. The property is divided among a few. The manor and much of the land belong to E. Probyn, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester. Value, £400. * Patron, Gen. Sir John W. Guise, Bart. The church is ancient; was recently restored; and had a spire which became unsound, and was about to be taken down in 1867. There are a Baptist chapel, and charities £135.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Longhope, Upper and Lower (All Saints), in the union of Westbury, duchy of Lancaster, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 5 miles (S. W. by S.) from Newent; containing 929 inhabitants. This parish comprises 2835 acres, of which 459 are common or waste. May Hill, within its limits, forms a landmark from the Bristol Channel. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, valued in the king’s books at £9. 7. 11½., and in the gift of the Archdeacon of Llandaff and the Rev. John Probyn: the tithes have been commuted for £396. 17., and the glebe comprises 17 acres, with a house. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Longhope, a parish in the hund, of the duchy of Lancaster, union of Westbury-on-Severn, county of Gloucester; 5 miles south by west of Newent. Living, a discharged vicarage, formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the dio of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £9 7s. 11½d.; gross income £394. Patron, in 1835, the Rev. J. Probin. The Wesleyan Methodisls have a place of worship here; and there is a daily School. Acres 2,970. Houses 170. A. P. £3,425. Pop., in 1801, 635; in 1831, 873. Poor rates, in 1838, £234 15s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1848.
Longhope is a village and parish, and railway station on the Hereford, Ross and Gloucester line, 6 miles north from Newnham, 2 east from Micheldean, 9 west from Gloucester, and 8 south-east from Ross, in the hundred of the Duchy of Lancaster, union of Westbury-on-Severn, Newnham county court district, rural deanery of the Forest, Gloucester archdeaconry, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol. It is situated on the high road from Gloucester to Micheldean and Coleford. The church of All Saints is an ancient building, with a spire. The living is an endowed vicarage, annual value £400, with residence and about 20 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Gen. Sir John Wright Guise, Bart., K.C.B.; the Rev. Frederick Charles Guise, M.A., of University College, Durham, is the incumbent. There is a chapel for Baptists. The population in 1861 was 1,104, the acreage is 2,823; rateable value, £4,682. The soil is clay and loam; the subsoil is clay. Edmond Probyn, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. There are charities of £135 yearly value.
Parish Clerk, Samuel Edwards.
Coleman Solomon, esq
Guise Rev. Fredk. Chas. M.A. Vicarage
Phillips Rev. Henry [Baptist]
Probyn Capt. John, D.L., j.P. Manor ho
Probyn Miss, Temple
Ambury Joseph, farmer, Harts barn
Baldwin Daniel, wood turner
Bennett Benjamin, horse dealer
Browning James, Cross inn
Bullock Thomas, spade tree maker
Burcher Joseph, farmer, Brook farm
Cadle John, butcher, Hope Brook cot
Coleman Frederick, tanner
Coleman Solomon, solicitor
Constance Eli, broom handle maker
Constance William & Sons, farmers, Court farm
Constance Henry, farmer & timber dlr
Constance James, farmer
Constance James, wood turner
Davis Henry, beer retailer
Drew Thomas, farmer, Dursley cross
Fowler John, farmer
Haile Jane (Mrs.), grocer & postmistrss
Hampton Charles, grocer, draper & farmer, Cross farm
Hampton Henry, boot & shoe maker
Hobbs John, Plough
Irving John, gentlemen’s boarding school, Blenheim house
Joiner William, farmer, Vicarage farm
Kersey John, miller & farmer
Lea Edwin, shopkeeper
Little Charles, shoemaker, Hope Brook
Mallett William, boot & shoe maker
Morris Joseph, corn dealer
Parry John, farmer, Marshes
Pearce Samuel, beer retailer, Box bush
Phillips William, shopkeeper
Purdy James, farmer, Blackmore farm
Scudamore Geo. farmer, Bradley farm
Smith Charles, miller, Dursley cross
Smith Robert, carpenter
Stephens James, shopkeeper
Stephens Walter,beer retailer, Box bush
Thomas Milson, Yew Tree, & farmer
Post Office. — Mrs. Jane Haile, receiver. Letters arrive at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 4.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Micheldean.
Church of England School, M. A. Grimes, mistress
Station Master, Edwin Noble
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.
Genuki - Longhope Gloucestershire
Longhope Village Website - Census data, Parish Records, Gravestone inscriptions and Family Trees of people in Longhope and nearby villages.