Littledean is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1684
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Independent/Congregational.
Little Dean is three miles distant from Great Dean; it is a very small town, on the verge of the forest, and had formerly a market. The only branch of manufacture carried on here is making of nails; and those made in this place are esteemed superior to most in the kingdom. Contiguous to this town, has been lately built a penitentiary-house and bridewell for the forest-division of the county. Newenham is the post-town. – the following are the principal inhabitants:
Brookes William, Gent. (F.)
Cullimore William, Esq.
Evans – , Gent.
Morton William, Esq.
Pyrke Joseph Watkyns, Esq. (F.)
Frier Rev. William, Curate
Webb Rev. Benjamin, (F.) Vicar of Dean
Robinson Philip, (F.) Proprietor of capital Coal and Nail-works
Boughton Joseph, Timber-merchant
Taylor Thomas, (F.) Nailor
Source: The Universal British Directory of Trade, Commerce, and Manufacture 1791. Vol. 2.