Leigh is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Evington.
Parish registers begin: 1560
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Leigh with Evington, 4½ miles S. Tewkesbury. P. 489
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Leigh, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Gloucester (104) 6m. NNE. Pop. with Evington, 340.
A parish in the lower division of the hundred of Deerhurst; living, a dis. vicarage and a peculiar of Deerhurst, in the diocese of Gloucester; valued in K. B. 7l. 16s. 3d.; church ded. to St. James; patron, the Lord Chancellor. The river Severn and the Comb Canal pass through this parish.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Leigh (or Lye) is a parish, including the hamlet of Evington, in Tewkesbury union, containing by the census of 1861, 428, and in 1871, 386 inhabitants, and 1403 acres; in the deanery of Winchcomb, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, the lower division of Deerhurst hundred, East Gloucestershire; 6 miles south from Tewkesbury, 5 ½ north-west from Cheltenham, and 6 north-east from Gloucester, on the main road from thence to Tewkesbury. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. John Southgate Austin, M.A., is valued at £247 per annum, with residence and is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor. The church, dedicated to Saint James, contains nave, chancel, and south aisle, with an embattled tower and a peal of five bells. There is a National School for Children of both sexes. The Dean and Chapter of Westminster are lords of the manor. The rateable value of this parish is £3646.
Austin Rev. John Southgate, M.A., The Vicarage
Chandler Joseph Trinder, farmer, Leigh court
Chandler James, farmer, Great House farm
Davis Job, butcher
Moore William, butcher
Watts William, parish clerk
Arkell Henry, Esq., Evington villa
Hill William, Esq., Leigh house
Oakey Miss Elizabeth, Coomb bank
Hodgkins Henry, Esq., Evington house
Waltham Mrs. Eliza
Allen Richard, farmer, Villa farm
Brown John, farmer and boat owner
Chandler George, farmer, Leigh court
Chandler Joseph, farmer, Staplings
Cobb Daniel, farmer Brick House farm
Cresswell Thomas, blacksmith
Finch George, carpenter and wheelwright
Finch James, farmer
Goode Mrs. Sarah, coal merchant, The Wharf
Hall Charles, farmer
Hancock James, farmer
Hancock Mrs. Mary, farmer
Hancock Richard, farmer
Howe Lorenzo, “Swan” inn, Coomb hill
Jones Josiah, coal dealer
Keys Mrs. Mary, shopkeeper
Margrett Thomas, farmer
Margrett William, basket maker, “Crown”
Newman Henry, police constable
Newman Samuel, farmer, The Grange
Nunn James, National schoolmaster
Pardington William, boarding and day school, Prospect house
Taylor Thomas, shopkeeper
Taylor William, farmer
Waltham Alfred, farmer, Tudor cottage
Weston John, farmer
Weston Thomas, tailor
Yarnold William, shoemaker
Letters through Cheltenham. Wall letter box, Evington, cleared on week-days only at 5.50 p.m., from February 28th to November 1st, and at 3.50 p.m. the remainder of the year.
Police Station, Evington – Henry Newman, constable in charge.
National School – James Nunn, master, Mrs. Mary Ann Nunn, mistress.
Gloucester – Omnibus from Tewkesbury passes through every Saturday.
Gloucester – Martin from Tewkesbury passes through in Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday.
Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.