Kingswood nr Wotton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Kingswood was formerly in Wilts but in October 1844 it was annexed to Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. Mary, Holy Trinity
Parish registers begin: 1598
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.
Schools: a Free school for boys also an Infant school.
There were woollen cloth factories at Kingswood Mills and Nind Mills and a brewer.
KINGSWOOD, a parish in the hundred of CHIPPENHAM, county of WILTS, though locally in the hundred of Grumbald’s Ash, county of Gloucester, 5¼ miles (S. by W.) from Dursley, containing 1391 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £1000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Inhabitants. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyan Methodists. The parish is watered by the Middle Avon, on the banks of which river are several extensive cloth manufactories. A free school for teaching children to read and write was endowed with £50 per annum, in 1674, by John Mayo, Esq. An abbey of Cistercian monks from Tintern was founded here, in 1139, by William de Berkeley, in honour of the Blessed Virgin, but the society afterwards removed to Tetbury. In 1170 they once more removed, and settled at Mireford in Kingswood, near the old site, and at the dissolution possessed a revenue of £254. 11. 2. The only remains of the monastic buildings are the foundations of the two churches and a gate-house of the gable form, with a range of ruins on each side.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
It is assumed that this is the Kingswood nr. Wootton as the directory gives no indication as to which Kingswood it is!
Baker Richard, victualler, Duck, and millwright
Carpenter J. and T., clothiers
Council and Millman, ditto
Gainer Samuel, dyer and clothier
Gainer Robert, ditto
Griffiths Rev. Mr.
Handcock J. G., clothiers
Hart Samuel, ditto
Long S. and W., ditto
Mercer Thomas, ditto, Abbey
Owen John, victualler, Dog and Badger
Partridge and Handcock, clothiers
Smith, dyer and clothier
Stone W. and L., brewers
Summers Nathaniel, farrier
Tanner Wm., gent.
Wood John, victualler, New Inn
Source: The Gloucestershire Directory; R. Gell & T. Bradshaw; Printed by J. Roberts, Gloucester 1820