Kingswood (near Bristol), Gloucestershire Family History
Kingswood (near Bristol) is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1821 from Bitton Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin: 1822
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Moravian/United Brethren, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
Kingswood, co. Gloucester,
P. T. Bristol (114) 2½ m. E. Pop. with Bitton.
An irregularly built village, called also Kingswood Hill, partly within the parish of St. George, Bristol, and partly within that of Bitton, in the upper division of the hundred of Langley and Swineshead, and anciently a part of the royal forest, or chase of Kingswood. Here are numerous coal mines, many of which are of great depth; and from this neighbourhood the city of Bristol was formerly entirely supplied with fuel. It was at this place that John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, in an early period of his religious career, began preaching to the colliers; and he is said to have effected a considerable reformation of conduct among the dissolute population of Kingswood. There is still subsisting here a seminary, called the Wesleyan School, instituted by Mr. Wesley, in 1748, for the support and classical education of 100 boys, the sons of Methodist ministers. The establishment is under the direction of a governor and six assistant-teachers; and it is chiefly supported by annual contributions. At Bitton are extensive paper-mills.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.