King’s Stanley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative Names: Stanley Regis
Parish Church: St George
Parish registers begin: 1573
Nonconformists in King’s Stanley include: Baptist, Plymouth Brethren, and Primitive Methodist.
Kingstanley, or Kings-Stanley, a village and a parish in Stroud district, Gloucester. The village stands on the Stroudwater canal, 1½ mile S of Stonehouse r. station, and 3½ SW of Stroud; is a considerable place; carries on cloth manufacture; and has a post office under Stonehouse. The parish comprises 1,679 acres, and is all within Stroud borough. Real property, £7, 561; of which £14 are in quarries. Pop., 2, 038. Houses, 488. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to the Mercian kings; passed to the Maltraverses, the Arundels, and others; and belongs now to W. Leigh and S. S. Marling, Esqs. Stanley Park, the seat of Mr. Marling, is a handsome mansion. Traces of a Roman camp are within the parish; and Roman altars and other relics have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £400.* Patron, Jesus College, Cambridge. The church is good, and has a tower. The parsonage is ancient, and was recently restored and enlarged. A new church, at Selsley, for a newly constituted chapelry, was built in 1862; and is in the early geometric style. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, a British school, and charities £15.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].