Horsley

Horsley, Gloucestershire Family History

Horsley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Barton End, Chaseridge, Chavenage, Chaveridge, Down End, Latheredge, Walkley Wood, Newmarket, Nupp End, Rockness, Shortwood, Sugley, and Luther-edge.

Parish church: St. Martin

Parish registers begin: 1587

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Horsley

  • Kingscote
  • Newington Bagpath
  • Owlpen
  • Nympsfield
  • Avening
  • Tetbury
  • Nailsworth
  • Beverston

Historical Descriptions

Horsley

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Horsley, a parish and township in Longtree hund., union of Stroud, Gloucestershire; 3 miles south-west of Minchin-Hampton. Acres 4,480. Houses 799. A. P. £6,317. Pop., in 1801, 2,971; in 1831, 3,690. Living, a discharged vicarage, formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £7 11s. 5½d., and returned at £80 3s.; gross income £133. Patron, the bishop of Gloucester. The church is a large building, with a handsome tower at the west end. Here are a Baptist church, formed in 1715; and 3 daily schools, one of which, the Horseley free-school, is endowed with property producing, in 1833, £54 6s. 4d. per annum, out of which the master and mistress are paid the sum of £25 per annum each, and are at liberty to charge for those children who learn to write on paper. Other charities, in 1827, £15 8s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £1,206 15s. Horseley was formerly a place of more importance than it is at present. The houses are aucient and irregularly built; and the inhabitants are partly employed in the woollen manufacture. In 1838, 9 woollen mills here employed 135 hands. Trade has declined so much in this parish, that the Hand-loom weavers’ commissioner has recommended migration to the stripe weavers, as tbe mildest and best remedy in their permanently distressed circumstances. “Many weavers,” observes the commissioner, “have declared that they consider the condition of a prisoner to be superior to their own, inasmuch as he is supplied with food and clothing, and they can scarcely obtain either the one or the other.” Petty sessions for the district of Longtree are held here, and at Tetbury, and Rodborough, alternately. The county house of correction stands in this parish. It is enclosed by a high boundary wall, not overlooked by other buildings, and comprises 92 cells, 3 day-rooms, and 4 airing-yards. The principal means by which the inmates, who, in 1835, amounted to 353, are supplied with hard labour, is the tread-wheel. The weekly cost for food and clothing in this prison, is 2s. 4d. per head. Soon after the Conquest a priory was founded here, of which the only remaining part is an ancient gatewav standing near the church.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Chaveridge or Chevenage

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Chaveridge or Chevenage, a hamlet in Horsley, Gloucestershire parish, Gloucester; 2 miles NW of Tetbury, It has a chapel, served by a curate, with salary of £50, appointed by the lord of the manor. Chaveridge House is a Tudor edifice; was built by the Stephenses; and passed to the Phelpses. Chevenage Green is a meet for the Beaufort hounds.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Latheredge

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Latheredge, a hamlet in Horsley, Gloucestershire parish, Gloucester; 3 ½ miles SW of Minchinhampton.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Marriages

Marriages at Horsley 1591-1811

Marriages at Horsley 1591-1811 - UK Genealogy Archives

Transcriptions

Horsley Marriages 1810 to 1812

Directories

Horsley Gloucestershire Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Stroud
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
  • Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
  • Poor Law Union: Stroud
  • Hundred: Longtree
  • Province: Canterbury