Horfield is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1543
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist Reform
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Horfield, a parish in the lower division of Berkeley hund., union of Clifton, Gloucestershire; 2 miles north of Bristol; on the post road from Bristol to Gloucester. Living, a perpetual curacy, formerly in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Bristol, now in the archd. of Bristol and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £3, returned at £80; gross income £91. Patron, the bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. Here are 3 daily schools. Acres 1,190. Houses 62. A.P. £3,534. Pop., in 1801, 119; in 1831, 328. Poor rates, in 1838, £133 13s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Horfield is a parish and village, 2 miles north-east from Bristol, in the lower division of the hundred of Berkeley, Clifton union, Bristol deanery, archdeaconry and county court district, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric, pleasantly situated on the Great Northern road to Birmingham. The living is a perpetual curacy, annual value £133, with residence, in the patronage of the bishop; the Rev. Henry Richards, M. A., is the incumbent, and the Rev. Wm. Frederick Bryant, M.A., Oxford, and the Rev. H. Mayer, M.A., Oxford, are the curates. The church of the Holy Trinity is a neat structure, rebuilt and enlarged in 1847, and has a square tower containing 5 bells. The register dates from 1535. The population in 1861 was 1,746. There are barracks for infantry, capable of accommodating 500 men, and chapel for the soldiers, and a county police station, with two police constables. There are three schools for boys, girls and infants respectively, endowed with £40 a year, and a Sunday school. A pleasure ground of 8 acres has been established. The population in 1861 was 1,853, and the acreage 1,220. The soil is loam; the subsoil, clay and stone. Lime abounds here. The chief crops are hay. Bishop Marsh’s trustees are the chief landowners. Here are charities of £2 annual value.
Golden Hill and Lockley are farms.
Baxter Fras. Hastings, esq. Poplar cottg
Bryant Rev. Wm. Fredk. M.A. [curate]
Guest Mrs. Gloucester villa
Harris Charles, esq
Hitchens Richard, esq. Horfield lodge
Hollins Miss, Horfield villa
Richards Rev. Henry, M.A. [incumbent], Parsonage
Alderman Elizabeth (Mrs.), beer retailr
Atwell John, beer retailer
Bailey Henry, farmer, Horfield Down end
Brady Henry, Wellington hotel
Britton John, lath maker
Cox John, farmer, Quab farm
Davey William, farmer, Golden hill
Emitt Patrick, farmer
Gray Benjamin, toll collector
Lane Thomas, carpenter
Payne William, butcher
Robertson William, farmer
Rosser Thomas, grocer
Salter Hannah (Mrs.), beer retailer
Screachley Jane, grocer & beer retailer
Shubert William, beer retailer
Smith Wm. farmer, Horfield Down end
Spurway James, baker & beer retailer
Wade Nathaniel, farmer, Lockley farm
Post Office. — William Adams, postmaster. Letters arrive from Bristol at 7.30 a.m. & 5.30 p.m.; dispatched at 9.30 a.m. & 5.35 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Bristol
Public Schools: — National (boys) (Edmond’s Trust), George Dunkerton Hiscox, master National (girls), Miss Elizabeth Ann Beak, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.