Hinton on the Green is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St.Peter
Parish registers begin: 1735
Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews
Note. – The earliest volume of Registers now in the Parish Church commences in 1735. It is a parchment volume, 13 by 8 ¼ inches, containing 16 parchment leaves, and four others of paper. It is in good condition. The second volume is of paper, and has entries upon 12 pages. The Marriages have been extracted by the Rev. J. Harvey Bloom, M.A., Rector of Whitchurch, and are now printed under his supervision, with the consent of the Rev. C. A. Baker, M.A., Rector of Hinton.
William Edgington & Ann Hawkins, 16 June 1735
Thomas Cook & Margaret Clark, 1 Sept. 1735
Reuben Gregory, of St. Lawrence, Evesham, & Frances Purton, 20 Oct. 1735
John Gould & Isabell Fowler, 21 Oct. 1735
Thomas Bonner & Elizabeth Tinkler, of Bengeworth, 9 May 1736
Jonathan Hearth & Sarah Horn, in Esenisham [i.e. Evesham], 19 May 1736
Thomas Owen & Ann Hearth, 9 Oct. 1736
William Daffan, of Cropthorne, & Eliz. Reeve, 9 Oct. 1739
Samuel Freeman, of Great Cummerton, & Jane Ball, alias Baldwin, 29 Jan. 1739⁄40
James Burrows & Hannah Green, 18 Oct. 1741
Charles Welch, of All Saints, Evesham, & Margaret Wakeman, of Ashton, 1744
Joseph Hall, of Willersey, & Rebecca Morris, of Bradforton, 26 Feb. 1745⁄6
Thomas Smith & Hannah Gibbs, of Campden, 3 Apr. 1746
Thomas Berry & Mary Cheney, 28 Sept. 1746
John Wiston & Anne Smith, 19 June 1748
John Hunt & Susannah Brooks, 2 Oct. 1748
Richard Parker & Ann Dyke, 10 Nov. 1748
John Vann & Mary Dukes, 28 Dec. 1748
William Egerton & Sarah Heath, 11 Nov. 1752
John Griffiths & Ann Alcote, 14 Oct. 1753
Richard Coakle, of Marvil [?Morville], co. Salop, w., & Sarah Walford, lic., 20 June 1755
John Salisbury, of Little Cumberton, co. Worc., & Elizabeth Horton, 6 Oct. 1755
Edward Salisbury & Mary House, 12 Oct. 1756
Timothy Davis & Mary Houghts, 19 July 1757
John Charlwood, w., & Mary Knight, 19 June 1758
William Mancell & Elizabeth Cockrill, 11 June 1759
Thomas Harris & Elizabeth House, 5 Nov. 1759
John Hunt, w., & Mary Willis, w., 13 Apr. 1761
John Taylor & Elizabeth Barratt, 8 Oct. 1761
Richard Chesher & Sarah Edgintun, 21 June 1762
Thomas Grundy & Elizabeth Salisbury, 15 July 1762
Edward Pooley & Sarah Marshall, 11 Oct. 1763
Thomas Zeller & Mary Hunt, 14 Feb. 1764
Edward Holmes & Mary Charlwood, w., 3 Sept. 1764
Stephen Smith, of Childs Wickham, & Jane Drinkwater, lic., 23 Jan. 1766
William Knight & Ann Saunders, 4 May 1768
John Ballard, of Ross, co. Hereford, & Mary New, lic., 1 June 1768
Thomas Panter & Ann Weston, 14 Aug. 1769
Septimus Smith & Ann Holmes, 5 Oct. 1769
Edward Pooley, of Bishampton, w., & Eliz. Willis 8 Jan. 1771
Tobias Atkins & Elizabeth Croft, 11 Feb. 1771
Thomas Hunt & Mary Davis, lic., 4 May 1771
George Klipch & Sarah New, lic., 9 Apr. 1772
Edward Hayes & Mary Knight, 14 Apr. 1776
George Robbert, w., & Elizabeth Saunders, w., 24 June 1776
William Walton & Elizabeth Knight, 13 Apr. 1777
George Neal & Sarah Bennet, 16 Apr. 1777
James White, of Tewkesbury, & Martha New, lic., 17 Aug. 1777
William Dike & Ann Sealsbury, 17 Nov. 1777
John Brown & Mary Hancock, 18 Nov. 1777
John Birch & Sarah Yeats, 19 Oct. 1778
Thomas Millar & Ann Haines, 12 Apr. 1779
John Smith, w., & Mary Burrows, 4 Feb. 1781
William Bird, of Sedgeberrow, w., & Eliz. Berwick, 11 Oct. 1781
Thomas Knight & Jane Penson, 10 Oct. 1782
William Humpheris & Mary Amphlet, 21 Nov. 1782
William Howse & Elizabeth Salsbury, of Hampton, 10 Nov. 1784
William Jones, of Kidderminster, & Mary Smith, w., 15 July 1785
Joseph Mineyatt & Betty Robberts, 12 Oct. 1785
William Candall & Sarah Sharp, 18 Nov. 1787
John Weston & Hannah Horneyblow, 24 Dec. 1787
Septimus Smith & Mary Clifton, 3 Nov. 1788
Anthony Hag, of Didbrook, & Sarah Haughty, 14 Oct. 1789
John Lambley, of Hampton, & Anne Bond, 21 Apr. 1790
John Hughes & Elizabeth Lewis, 22 Nov. 1790
William Humphries & Elizabeth Holmes, 18 Dec. 1790
Edward Warren, of Evesham, & Mary Welles, lic., 25 Feb. 1791
James Dutton, of Cropthorne, & Sarah Pealey, lic., 24 May 1791
James Edgington, of St. Lawrence, & Sarah Salisbury, 1 Apr. 1792
James Hughes, of Somerville Aston, & Diannah Phillips, 10 Apr. 1792
Robert Dyde Smith, of Hampton, & Elizabeth Weston, lic., 26 July 1792
Thomas Gould, of Cleeve, w., & Esther Merrett, w., 29 Oct. 1795
Joseph Westbury & Ann Harris, 1 Nov. 1797
John Hamplet & Mary Bennet, 21 Nov. 1797
Robert Spencer, of Kemmerton, & Sarah Grove, lic., 1 Sept. 1798
Thomas Roggers, of Wiggan, & Sarah State, 16 Oct. 1798
Richard East, of Hayles, & Elizabeth Bennet, 20 Nov. 1798
Thomas Jones, of Bromyard, co. Hereford, & Eliz. Hartin, 26 Dec. 1799
Thomas Saunders & Elizabeth Bray, 30 Oct. 1802
William Thornett & Mary Thornett, lic., 14 Dec. 1803
Thomas Newbury & Mary Newman, 16 Jan. 1805
Thomas Pain & Eleanor Cook, 11 Nov. 1805
George Phillips, of Childs Wickham, & Mary Winkfield, 7 July 1806
John Stokes, of Sedgeborough, & Lucy Weston, lic. 14 Jan. 1807
John Smith & Sarah Townson, 8 May 1807
Joseph Slater & Mary Humphries, 18 May 1807
Thomas Mealing, of Broadway, & Anne Walton, 29 Dec. 1807
John Chambers, of Childs Wickham, & Sarah James, lic., 17 Jan. 1808
Samuel Jones, of Childs Wickham, & Anne Leyes, 17 May 1808
Thomas Mace, of New Chalford, co. Oxon, & Elizabeth Thornett, lic., 13 Feb. 1809
Edward Cook, of Weston Subedge, & Ann Harris, 4 Nov. 1811
Nathan Izod & Esther James, 5 Dec. 1811
William Foort & Judith Green, 6 May 1812
Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 36, Essex Street, Strand, London. 1898.
Below is a list of people who were from Hinton on the Green but who were married in another parish.
Will. Clarke, of Hinton, Glocr., & Mary Butler, of S. L., lic. 24 Apr. 1770 at South Littleton, Worcestershire.
Hinton-on-the-Green, a village and a parish in the district of Evesham and county of Gloucester. The village stands on the river Isborne, near the boundary with Worcester, and near the Ashchurch and Evesham railway, 3¼ miles SSW of Evesham; has a station, of the name of Hinton, on the railway; was anciently known as Hynetune; and was once a market town. The parish comprises 2, 259 acres. Post town, Evesham. Real property, £1, 720. Pop., 192. Houses, 37. The property belonged formerly to Gloucester abbey, and belongs now to John A. B. Cresswell, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £200. Patron, J. A. B. Cresswell. The church is ancient; was restored in 1863; and has a central aisle and a fine tower.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Hinton-on-the-Green, a parish in Tibaldstone hund., union of Evesham, county of Gloucester; 7½ miles north-east by east of Tewkesbury, on the river Isborn. Living, a rectory, formerly in the archd., and dio. of Gloucester, now in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £8 13s. 11½d.; gross income £200. Patron, in 1835, A. J. C. Baker, Esq. Here is a daily school. Acres 2,030. Houses 34. A. P. £2,625. Pop., in 1801, 196; in 1831, 209. Poor rates, in 1838, £50.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
Hinton-on-the-Green is a parish in Evesham union, containing by the census of 1861, 192, and in 1871, 183 inhabitants, and 2177 acres; in the deanery of Campden, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Tibaldstone, East Gloucestershire, on the Ashchurch and Evesham line of Railway, at which it has a station; 3 miles from Evesham, 5 from Broadway, 11 from Campden, 17 from Stratford-on-Avon, and 29 from Gloucester. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. – Baker, is valued at £200 per annum, with residence, and is in the patronage of W. Laslett, Esq., Who is also lord of the manor and owner of the parish. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, contains a centre aisle, with tower and a peal of five bells. The rateable value of this parish is £3047.
Baker Rev. – , The Rectory
Brandon William, stationmaster
Candy James, farmer, Downrip
Cresswell Thomas, farmer, Blakeshill
Darkin Charles, farmer Ballards farm
Morris Walter, miller and farmer, Hinton mill
Smith Amiah, farmer
Trueman William, farmer, Manor house
Warmington Cornelius, farmer, Gravel hall
Letters through Evesham, which is the nearest money order office. Box cleared at 5.10 p.m. on week-days only.
Midland Railway – William Brandon, stationmaster.
Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.
Hinton-on-the-Green is a village and parish 3 miles from Evesham station on the West Midland railway, 17 from Stratford-on-Avon, 11 from Campden, 29 from Gloucester, and 5 from Broadway, in the hundred of Tibbaldstone, rural deanery of Campden, archdeaconry of Gloucester, Gloucester and Bristol bishopric, Evesham union and Winchcomb county court district. The church of St. Peter is a stone building, having a centre aisle, and tower with 5 bells. The parish registers commence only from the early part of the 18th century. The living is a rectory, of the value of £200 yearly, with residence, in the gift of J. A. B. Cresswell, Esq.; the Rev. Edmund Goldsmith is the incumbent. The population in 1861 was 192; the acreage of the parish is 2,259; the rateable value, £2,116. John Addison B. Cresswell, Esq., is lord of the manor and sole landed proprietor.
Goldsmith Rev. Edmund, Rectory
Coldicott Robert, farmer
Gough Ashwin, farmer
Gough William, sen. farmer
Morris Walter, farmer, miller & baker
Roberts William, farmer
Letters are received through Evesham, which is the nearest money order office.
Registrar of Births, Marriages & Deaths & Relieving Officer, Thomas Marshall, Evesham
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.