Hewelsfield is a chapelry of Lydney Ancient Parish in Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1664
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.
Hewelsfield, a parish in St. Briavell’s hund., union of Chepstow, county of Gloucester; 6 miles north-north-east of Chepstow, pleasantly situated in a valley between the rivers Severn and Wye. Living, a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Lydney. Tithes commuted in 1839; aggregate amount £123 8s. 2d. rectorial. Acres 1,580. Houses 104. A. P. £1,140. Pop., in 1801, 298; in 1831, 585. Poor rates, in 1838, £128 2s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.