Hempsted

Hempsted, Gloucestershire Family History

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1558

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Hempsted

  • Quedgeley
  • Gloucester South Hamlet

Historical Descriptions

Hempsted

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Hempstead, a village and parish in the district and county of Gloucester. The village stands on the river Severn, near to Berkeley canal, 2 miles SW of Gloucester r. station; is a very pleasant suburb of Gloucester city, with a fine view; and has a post-office under Gloucester. Acres, with South Hamlet, 1,311. Real property of H. alone, £3,665.Pop., in 1851, 251; in 1861, 424. Houses, 88. The property is divided among a few. The manor was given by Milo, Earl of Hereford, to Llanthony priory; and passed to the Atkynses, the Bathursts, and the Lysonses. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £640. Patron, D. H. Burr, Esq. The church is good, and has a neat low tower. A charity for widows of clergymen has £420 a-year; and other charities have £65.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72]

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Hempstead, a parish in Dudstone and King’s-Barton hund., union and county of Gloucester; 2 miles south-west of Gloucester, east of the Severn, and in the line of the Gloucester and Berkeley canal. It includes South-Hamlet. Living, a rectory, formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £8; gross income £449. Patron, in 1835, J. Higford, Esq. Here are 2 daily schools. Charities, in 1826, £485 1s. per annum, of which sum, £420 1s. arose from property bequeathed, in 1731, by Sylvanus Lysons, Esq., for the maintenance of 9 widows of poor clergymen of the church of England, whose husbands had been regularly educated at Oxford or Cambridge, and had “severally died incumbent of some church or chapel within such part of the diocese of Gloucester, not within the Forest division.” There were 9 pensioners on the establishment, at the time of the inquiry, each of whom received £20 per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £160 7s. Acres 1,220. Houses 192. A. P. £3,522. Pop., in 1801, 219; in 1831, 999.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851

South Hamlet

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Hamlet (South), an extra-parochial tract in the district and county of Gloucester; partly within Gloucester city. Real property, £13,409. Pop., in 1851, 1,739; in 1861, 2,248. Houses, 379. Pop., of the part in G. city, 1,634. Houses, 280

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72]

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

South-Hamlet, a hamlet in the parish of Hampstead, middle division of the hund. of Dudstone and King’s Barton, county of Gloucester. Here are a daily and a boarding school; the latter belonging to the Society of Friends. A mineral spring in this hamlet attracts numerous visiters. Acreage with the parish. Houses 160. A. P. £1,629. Pop., in 1801, 60; in 1831, 834

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851

Poll Books

Hempsted Poll Book 1834 - Google Books

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Gloucester
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Gloucester
  • Poor Law Union: Gloucester
  • Hundred: Dudstone and King’s Barton
  • Province: Canterbury