Gloucester

Gloucester, Gloucestershire Family History

Historical Descriptions

Corn Exchange Gloucester Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

The Corn Exchange is a handsome building in Southgate Street, and was erected in 1856-7; it is entered through a corridor 13 feet 6 inches in width. The room is 52 feet long by 52 feet wide, and to the top of the lantern 45 feet high; it is adapted for balls, concerts, lectures, entertainments, &c.

Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.

County Lunatic Asylum Gloucester Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

The County Lunatic Asylum, which was opened 21 July, 1823, is about half a mile from the city, on an elevated site, commanding some extensive views of the surrounding country. It has from time to time received many and considerable additions, and will now accommodate nearly 700 patients.

Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.

County Prison Gloucester Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

The County Prison, on the banks of the Severn, was built from a design of the great philanthropist Howard, on the site originally occupied by Gloucester Castle, the ancient donjon or keep of which had been used as a prison previously. It was erected in 1791, and considerably enlarged and improved in 1850, and is now considered as good a model of the kind as any in England. It is used as a penitentiary as well as a prison, and contains both county and city prisoners, the latter being contracted for, the city prison having been taken down.

Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.

Infirmary Eye Institution and Dispensary Gloucester Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

The Infirmary, in Southgate Street, is a plain brick edifice, which was opened in 1755; it is a commodious and well managed establishment, and every attention is paid to the sufferers who seek assistance within its walls.

The Eye Institution, in Market Parade, is supported by voluntary contributions, and was established in 1865.

The Dispensary, Longsmith Street, was established in 1831, for the purpose of giving medical advice and medicine to poor people properly recommended, and to vaccinate all applicants free. The institution has recently been re-modelled on the “Provident Insurance” system, and is very successful.

Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.

Provision Market Gloucester Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

The Provision Market is in Eastgate Street, extending from thence to Bell Lane and is well supplied with meat, vegetables, and provisions of all kinds. It was erected at the same time as the Corn Exchange.

Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.

Shire Hall Gloucester Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

The Shire Hall is a spacious and massive stone edifice, extending from Westgate Street to Bear Land; the front in Westgate Street is a copy of a temple on the Ilyssus; the portico is supported by four Ionic columns, 32 feet high, resting on an elevated base, which is reached by a flight of steps the whole breadth of the building. It was opened 26 August, 1816, and is 300 feet long and 82 feet wide, and is used for the assizes, county courts, and other county business, for which it is well adapted.

Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.

Tolsey Gloucester Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

The Tolsey, or Town Hall, at the corner of Southgate and Westgate Streets, is built on the site of the old Roman Forum; the upper portion being used for council meetings and other city business; the ground floor fronting Westgate Street is occupied by the Post Office, and the remaining portion in Southgate Street by the Corporation. The Council Chamber contains portraits of his late Royal Highness the Duke of Gloucester, a former Duke of Norfolk, and several others of local eminence.

Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876