Frenchay is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1836 from Winterbourne Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: St. John Baptist, Frenchay
Other places in the parish include: Hambrook and Frenchay and Hambrook.
Parish registers begin: 1834
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Unitarian.
Frenchay includes the village and tithing of Hambrook and part of Winterbourne Down, having a population of 1,446. It was separated for ecclesiastical purposes from the parish of Winterbourne, by Order in Council, on the 27th of May, 1836. The special act of Parliament is dated the 21st June, 1841. In this Act it is designated the parish of St. John Baptist, Frenchay. It is in Langley Hundred, Clifton Union. Here are many good residences.
Frenchay Lodge, Cliff Court, Newlands, Begbrook, and Cedar Hall, are places here.
Burgess Edward, esq. Frenchay lodge
Carter Rev. John, B.D. [rector]
Clarke Colonel, Newlands
Greenstreet Rev. Frdk. Wm. M.A., [curate]
Harford Charles Gray, esq
Harwood Rev. Daniel [Unitarian]
Haywood John, esq
Howse Rev. Henry Edwd. [Unitarian]
Hunt Robert, esq. Cliff court
Johnson Robert, esq
Parsons D. esq. Begbrook
Phillips Miss Georgina
Robinson Lieut.-Col. William Henry
Surtees Rev. John, [canon of Bristol]
Taylor Miss, Cedar hall
Tuckett Francis, esq
Cates Thomas, grocer, shoemaker & beer retailer
Emett Walter, stonemason
Hobbs Thomas, iron agricultural implement & edge tool manufacturer
Hutton Charles, dairyman
Mauler George, coal carter
Norgrove Joseph, beer retailer
Pearce Henry, miller
Pinnell Thomas, shoemaker
Shipton Robert, butcher
Veale William, master of National schls
Vowles Hannah (Mrs.), grocer & postmistress
Post Office – Mrs. Hannah Vowles postmistress. Letters delivered at ½ past 8 a.m. & at 6 p.m.; dispatched 20 min. past 9 a.m. & 20 min. past 4 p.m.
St. John’s Church, Rev. John Carter, B.D. rector; Rev. Frederick William Greenstreet, M.A., curate.
Unitarian Chapel, Rev. Daniel Harwood, minister
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.