Forthampton

Photo of Yorke Almshouses. Forthampton, Gloucestershire, England by KJP1, some rights reserved.

Forthampton Gloucestershire Family History

Forthampton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin: 1678

Parishes adjacent to Forthampton

  • Bushley
  • Longdon
  • Chaceley
  • Tewkesbury
  • Pendock
  • Eldersfield

Marriages at Forthampton 1678 to 1812

Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol I. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.

Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews

Note. – The marriages at Forthampton church between 1678 and 1812 are contained in three volumes. The oldest register extending from 1678 to 1754 contains the baptisms and burials as well as the weddings. The second volume contains the marriages and banns from 1754 to 1778 and the third has the like entries from 1778 to 1812. The present transcript was made by the Rev. E. R. Dowdeswell, perpetual curate of Bushley, in October 1895 and is now printed under his supervision. In this transcript it should be noted that the year throughout is reckoned as commencing on the 1st of January.

Marriages at Forthampton 1678 to 1812 - Archive.org

Marriages at Forthampton 1678 to 1812 - UK Genealogy Archives

Transcriptions

Forthampton Marriages 1800 to 1812
Forthampton Marriages 1779 to 1799
Forthampton Marriages 1765 to 1778
Forthampton Marriages 1754 to 1764
Forthampton Marriages 1700 to 1754
Forthampton Marriages 1678 to 1699

Historical Description

St. Mary's, Forthampton Standing majestically in its elevated position over the surrounding countryside. The copyright on this image is owned by Bob Embleton and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Forthampton, a parish in Tewkesbury district, Gloucester; adjacent to the river Severn and to the boundary with Worcester, 2½ miles W of Tewkesbury r. station. It has a post office under Tewkesbury. Acres, 2, 440. Real property, with Swinley, £3, 945. Rated property of F. alone, £2, 807. Pop., 442. Houses, 96. The property is divided among a few. Forthampton Court belonged once to the abbots of Tewkesbury, and belongs now to J. Yorke, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Valne, £138. Patron, J. Yorke, Esq. The church is ancient, cruciform, and good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Tewkesbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
  • Poor Law Union: Tewkesbury
  • Hundred: Tewkesbury
  • Province: Canterbury