Fairford is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1617
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, and Roman Catholic.
Fairford, a market-town and parish in the hund. of Brightwell’s Barrow, union of Cirencester, county of Gloucester; 24 miles east-south-east of Gloucester, on the post-road from Cirencester to Farringdon, at the foot of the Coteswold hills; about 3 miles distance from the grand canal which unites the Severn with the Thames, and on the eastern bank of the river Colne, over which there are here two neat stone bridges. Acres 4,220. Houses 317. A. P. £6,301. Pop., in 1801, 1,326; in 1831, 1,574. Living, a vicarage, formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the archd. of Bristol and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £13 11s. 5d.; gross income £482. The church is a beautiful Gothic structure erected in the reign of Henry VII., by John Tame, a merchant in London, who acquired possession of a captured vessel bound for Rome, and in which there was a great quantity of curiously painted glass. In order to exhibit this glass to advantage, he and his son Sir Edmund Tame, Knight, built Fairford church with 28 large windows, in which are represented the most striking passages in the Old and New Testament. Albert Durer, to whom the greatest improvements in the art of painting on glass are attributed, designed these beautiful paintings. Some of the figures are so finely finished, that Vandyke said the pencil could not exceed them. Several of the pieces were afterwards mutilated, but they are still unrivalled, excepting by the windows in the chapel at King’s college Cambridge: to prevent further injury, a lattice of wire was fitted to each window in 1725. Here are chapels for Independents and Baptists. The Independent church was formed in 1744. There are in this parish two Sunday and daily National schools, and a handsome free-school, at which 60 boys and 60 girls receive instruction, and which was first endowed by the Hon. Mrs. Farmor, in 1704. It has since been further endowed by others. In 1817 the school-buildings were greatly enlarged; and others, besides those gratuitously taught, are admitted upon paying one penny each per week. The annual income of the school is about £140. A sum of money, now producing £98 10s. a-year, was given by Lady Jane Mico, in 1676, to be laid out in land, for apprenticing poor boys of the town. Other charities amount to about £22 per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £611. The town consists of 2 streets neatly and regularly built. The market-day is Thursday, and two annual fairs are held May 14th and November 12th, for sheep and cattle. Many medals and urns have been dug up here, and several barrows, in the fields, probably commemorate war like actions which are not recorded in history.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Fairford, co. Gloucester.
London 80 m. W b N. Pop. 1547. M. D. Thurs. Fairs, May 14; and Nov. 12, for cattle and sheep.
A market-town and parish in the hundred of Brightwell’s Barrow, seated at the foot of the Cotswold Hills, near the river Colne, over which it has two neat stone bridges. The town consists of two streets, neatly and regularly built; the inhabitants are for the most part employed in the clothing-mills, this being the very centre of a large clothing district. The charter for the market was obtained in 1668; but the attendants are now very few in number. At about three miles distance from hence is the grand canal, which unites the Severn to the Thames.
The living is a vicarage in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; valued in K. B. 13l. 11s. 5½d.; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester; the church, ded. to St. Mary, is a fine Gothic structure, with a handsome tower, and is remarkable for its fine painted windows, twenty-eight in number, the subjects of which are chiefly scriptural. John Tame, a merchant of London, having taken a prize-ship, bound from a Flemish port to Rome, discovered it to contain a collection of beautifully painted glass, and determined to build a church for its reception; having purchased this manor of Henry VII., he immediately carried his determination into effect. In this church are many monuments; one to the founder, who died in 1500, with his effigy in white marble, and several to other branches of the same family.
Fairford has a handsome free-school endowed for sixty boys, with many other charitable institutions. Here was formerly a manorial residence erected by the Earls of Warwick, called Beauchamp and Warwick Court; this was pulled down many years ago, and the present manor-house erected with the materials; in sinking the foundations several Roman coins and urns were discovered. This seat is situated in a pleasant park, surrounded by fine plantations and diversified scenery.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
The following are the principal inhabitants:
Barker Raymond, Esq. Lord of the Manor
Edwards Rev. James, Vicar
Keble Rev. John, (F.)
Carter John, Surgeon and Apothecary
Morgan Charles Tyrrell, Counsellor, and Justice of the Peace
Andrew James, Pig-butcher
Betterton John, Blacksmith
Betterton Jacob, Glazier and Plumber
Brown William, Collar-maker
Bowle George, Maltster
Carey John, Tallow-chandler and Soap-maker
Carter William, Miller
Carter Benjamin, Mealman
Clinch Alexander, Shoemaker
Collett Richard, Sadler
Cox John, Land-surveyor
Dyke John, Hair-dresser
Edmonds John, (F.) Mealman and Grazier
Hamlett Thomas, Mercer
Hurst Richard, (F.) Ironmonger
Humphris John, Maltster and Baker
Howes William, Pig-butcher
Hook Charles, Farmer
Hinton William, Staymaker
Jenner William, (F.) Plumber and Glazier
Jenkins Robert, Wheelwright
Kimber William, Flax-dresser
Kimber Timothy, Mealman
Letall John, Innkeeper and Postmaster
Luckman John, Maltster and Baker
Mills Thomas, Shoemaker
Phillips George, Innkeeper
Prior J. Stationer
Price John, Taylor
Rose William, Mercer
Rose Thomas, Joiner
Russell J. Butcher
Silvester Mary, Baker
Silvester Mary, Brazier and Victualler
Stephens Thomas and John, Collar-makers
Simpson John and Thomas, Carriers
Strong Robert, Freestone-mason
Tackley Tho. Shopkeeper and Slater
Taylor Rowland, Blacksmith
Telling Robert, Stone-mason
Thomson Henry, Woolcomber
Thomas John, Baker and Maltster
Tovey Henry, Maltster
Tovey William, Slater
Wane Jonathan, Mercer
Westell Wm. Feltmonger and Glover
Wheeler Edmund, Plumber & Glazier
Williams William, Currier
Wilson Henry, Butcher
Wood Robert, Carpenter
Source: The Universal British Directory of Trade, Commerce, and Manufacture 1791. Vol. 3.
Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol XVI. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews