Elmstone Hardwicke with Uckington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Uckington.
Parish registers begin: 1564
Elmstone Hardwick, anciently Almondeston, is a township, parish and village, distant 7 miles north-east from Gloucester, 3 ½ north-west from Cheltenham railway station, 5 south from Tewkesbury, and 2 ½ west from the Bishop’s Cleeve station on the Midland line. It is situate in the lower part of the Westminster Hundred, Tewkesbury Union, East Gloucestershire, in the archdeaconry of Gloucester, deanery of Winchcombe, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church of St. Mary Magdalene consists of nave and chancel, with a tower, battlemented, having grotesque figures projecting from the angles, and, from its style of windows, appears to have been erected about the 15th century. On the west side is a representation of two figures playing on musical instruments. The living is a vicarage, valued at £233, and in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor; the Rev. John Byron, M.A., is the incumbent. The population of the township at the last census was 218; its rateable value being £2,488, with 1,732 acres; the population of the parish was 490, with 2,610 acres. The soil in general is clayey, and subsoil gravel, and principally applied to pasture. The Dean and Chapter of Westminster are lords of the manor; and Charles Yeend Day, Esq., Hillend Court, Worcestershire, James Marsden, Esq., Dick’s field, Exeter, and John Pensham, Esq., Leigh, are the chief landowners. There are charities of small annual value connected with this parish.
Uckington, a township and hamlet in this parish, lies in the lower part of Deerhurst Hundred, Cheltenham Union, distant 2 ¼ miles west from Cheltenham, and is intersected by the turnpike-road leading from the latter place to Tewkesbury; it was formerly called Hockington, and belonged anciently to the church of St. Dennis. At the beginning of the last century the Earl of Oxford held the manor, at whose death, in 1742, it went out of the family, and passed to Joseph Berwick, Esq., of Worcester. Sir Edmund Hungerford Lechmere, Bart., of Hanley Castle, is the present lord of the manor, who, with Hugh Stratford Stratford, Esq., of Thorpe, Northamptonshire, is the chief landowner. The population, in 1851, was 173, with 880 acres. Piff’s Elm, Knightsbridge, and Malthouse Farm, are places here.
Harris Daniel, carpenter
Harris Hubert, farmer
Holder Charles, farmer
New John, farmer
Newman Alfred, farmer
Piff William, farmer
Preston Jane (Miss), ‘Old White Swan,’ Piff’s elm
Preston Wm. beer retailer, Knightsbridge
Price Richard, farmer
Yeend Charles, farmer
Yeend James, farmer
Yeend Neighbour, farmer
Byron Rev. John, M.A.
Briddle Thos. carpenter & beer retailer
Buckle John, farmer
Castree Edward James, farmer
Castree Josiah, farmer
Compton Joseph, beer retailer
Cook Joseph, farmer
Theyer Daniel, farmer, Malthouse farm
Ursell William, bricklayer & shopkpr
Woodward Joseph, farmer
Letters through Cheltenham, which is also the nearest money order office.
Carrier – Dance, passes through Uckington, from Tewkesbury to Cheltenham, Thursday & Saturday; returning same days.
A Coach passes through this hamlet from Cheltenham to Worcester, daily.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.