Elkstone, Gloucestershire

Elkstone is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Other places included in the parish include: Cockleford and Combend.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1592

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Elkstone

  • Winstone
  • Cowley St Mary’s
  • North Cerney
  • Brimpsfield
  • Syde
  • Colesbourne
  • Coberley

Historical Descriptions

Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Elkstone, a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester; near Ermine-street, 7½ miles NNW of Cirencester r. station. Post-town, Brimpsfield, under Stroud. Acres, 2,058. Real property, £2,261. Pop., 320. Houses, 70. The property is divided among a few. Stone is quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £360. Patron, the Hon. R. K. Craven. The church is very ancient, but good; is partly early English; and has a fine Norman door.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].


Marriages at Elkstone 1800 to 1812
Marriages at Elkstone 1775 to 1799
Marriages at Elkstone 1756 to 1774


Elkstone Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856


  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Cirencester
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
  • Poor Law Union: Cirencester
  • Hundred: Rapsgate
  • Province: Canterbury